In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(physical, verbal)ataque masculineto launch an attack — lanzar un ataque
- terrorist attacks — atentados terroristas
- a three-pronged attack — un ataque en tres frentes
- attack is the best form of defense — el ataque es la mejor defensa
- attack on/against sth/sb — ataque a/contra algo/algn
- to come/be under attack — ser atacado
- traditional values are under attack — los valores tradicionales se ven amenazados
- to return to the attack — volver a la carga
- to go over to the attack — pasar al ataque
- the division had left itself open to attack from the rear — la retaguardia de la división había quedado al descubierto
- this policy leaves them open to attack from the opposition — esta política los expone a los ataques de la oposición
- No more will you have to endure the ill-formed attacks of the purchasing public.
- The battalion's withdrawal was met by a determined Japanese air attack on the convoy.
- In February police arrested nine Moroccans suspected of planning an attack on the US embassy in Rome.
- What I want to say here, no, what I have to say here, is that this country, our very way of life and everything we ever stood for, is under attack.
- It is the most pathetic attack on public servants I have ever heard in this House.
- An attack on private education is itself a thinly veiled assault on those who choose to use it.
- This cowardly decision was a blow to those already on strike and an attack on the unity of the city workers.
- Since then, we have witnessed only one more attempted terrorist attack on a plane.
- Responding to criticism that his attacks on Elton and Madonna in his new biography are unfair, he has decided to set the record straight.
- No claims of responsibility have been made for the subway attack, the worst terrorist attack in Moscow in five years.
- The company has suffered public attacks in the US and Western Europe and announced a down-turn in profits earlier in the year.
- Eventually, he had to respond to the mounting attacks and criticisms by Labor.
- The offender was chased and apprehended by a member of the public who witnessed the attack.
- In the fight against cronyism, Malaysian economist Jomo has endured public attacks, lawsuits and death threats.
- There was a real mood in the meeting that an attack on the time limit was the first step in an attack on abortion rights in general.
- Last week, terrorists launched an attack on government facilities in Saudi Arabia.
- London's ex-police chief has launched a vitriolic attack on the minister.
- For those close to the areas under attack, the damage was obvious and the response immediate.
- The following day, the government continued its political attack on the opposition.
- Last week, making his second appearance at the corruption trial, he launched a withering attack on his critics.
- Arnold Schwarzeneggar launched a blistering attack on the fiscal credentials of the opposition party.
- His sporadic cinematic output has been combined with fierce public attacks on the general media situation.
- Today there will be an exercise involving a mock chemical attack on the City of London.
- The Opposition Leader intensified his attack on the Prime Minister, insisting he had lied to the public.
- In an attack on a police station, one police officer and an attacker were killed.
- Later he decided to rise above the criticism and attacks.
- In Tikrit, guerrillas detonated two car bombs in an attack on a police checkpoint.
- And having made her a public figure, he must have expected her to be subjected to public scrutiny and political attacks.
- In a fierce attack on both Labour and the Tories, he urged all parties to reach a consensus on how the NHS should be managed.
- He has yet again launched a personal attack on a public servant without justification.
- Members of a new action group launched an attack on the local police authority at a public meeting on Tuesday.
- Police are treating an attack on a community church and its vicar as racially-motivated, a spokesman said today.
- The admission drew a scathing attack from the Opposition, with Mr Gilmore calling for his resignation.
- Police are investigating an attack on a woman as she left a toilet at a train station.
- The York Civic Trust's annual report launched a fierce attack on the loss of the city's Victorian heritage to the developers.
- Five teenagers have been charged following an attack on a police officer which left him needing 10 stitches to his head.
- Police have confirmed they are treating the attack as attempted murder.
- A government spending watchdog today launched a scathing attack on attempts to cut congestion.
- Journalists said that it was an attack on the freedom of press.
- I did not see how we could withstand a determined attack after nightfall.
- When so out of touch with public and media attacks, that is when a First Minister should turn to his special advisers.
- They were shot as they launched an attack on the police station using guns and a bomb in the bucket of a mechanical digger.
- How low will it sink in its attacks on progressives and public spending?
- Police believe he may also be responsible for an attack on a 48-year-old woman last Friday.
1.2Medicineataque masculineasthma/panic attack — ataque de asma/pánico masculine
- heart attack — infarto
- she had / suffered an attack — le dio un ataque
- he's suffered several attacks of malaria — ha tenido malaria varias veces
- an anxiety attack — un ataque de ansiedad
- Most doctors will start chronic treatment of epilepsy if two or more attacks occur in a short interval.
- The illness results in recurrent attacks of chills and fever and can be deadly.
- A sudden attack of viral encephalitis left him in a deep coma with a dire prognosis.
- There was a past history of migraine attacks and bouts of coughing.
- Sudden attacks lasting for a few days with symptom-free intervals.
- The weather is so depressing that I am convinced it is the reason behind my sudden attack of vomiting.
- There may be attacks of sudden breathlessness during the night.
- The best way to prevent asthma attacks is to identify and avoid indoor and outdoor allergens and irritants.
- Several treatments are available to help make the attacks shorter and less severe.
- Collins suffered from severe attacks of a rheumatic illness which caused him great pain, only relieved by the use of opium.
- For the thousands of people who have trigeminal neuralgia, attacks of such pain are frequent and can often seem unbearable.
- Many medications are currently available to relieve the symptoms of acute migraine attacks.
- The type of treatment that is given depends on how often the asthma attacks occur and how bad the symptoms are.
- All these triggers can irritate the airways in your lungs, making an asthma attack more likely.
- An attack of rheumatic fever may last for six weeks or longer.
- When a person has asthma, an attack can be started by a number of different things.
- Some people with asthma never have a severe attack, only a little wheezing or the occasional bout of coughing.
- Patients with acute cholecystitis may have a history of attacks of biliary colic or they may have been asymptomatic until the presenting episode.
- Short but recurrent attacks of vertigo are often caused by benign positional vertigo.
- They are commonly used for relieving sudden attacks of asthma and preventing exercise-induced asthma.
- Poorly cleaned heating systems also contribute to asthma and allergy attacks in the fall and winter, say researchers.
(part of team)delantera feminine
- Also back to bolster the Clan attack are team captains Joseph Marrello and Kevin Todd.
- There is only one revolving spot in the Clare attack and five players have sustainable claims on it.
- Fortunately for the home team, their defence proved as impressive as their attack had been earlier in the game.
- Teams consist of seven players, split three and three in attack and defence, with a goalkeeper at the back.
- Man of the Match went to Paula Clayton who led the attack and was a central player in an excellent team performance.
- He took off Dan Green, he explained, because he wanted a bigger player in the middle of the attack.
- With Ian Fitzgerald ruled out with a rib injury again only three of the attack retained their positions.
- Barry Conlon, who scored for the reserves in midweek could be pressing for a recall to the attack alongside David McNiven.
- Dean Windass and Danny Cadamarteri have shaken off knocks and will team up again in attack at Rotherham tomorrow.
- Australian striker Mark Viduka is hoping for a recall to an attack which has totalled just four goals in the last six matches.
- Goal attack was replaced by former national skipper Deepthi Rupasinghe.
- The Northants attack did not feature any first-team players, but still caused plenty of problems.
- It pitched the team with the finest defence against the team with the finest attack.
- It is only in the attack that the team is at present wanting.
- Nel added that the South African team had a different attack, with different dimensions, for the last Test.
- This was an excellent team performance based on a solid defence and an attack full of flair.
- Despite playing almost no part in qualifying, Henrik Larsson returns to lead the attack.
- Ryan Wayne added little to the attack and like other players ran up blind alleys.
1.1(army/policy/target/government) atacar(person) atacar(person) agredirI felt I was being attacked — me sentí agredida
- But immediately after the elections violence broke out and several houses were set on fire and people were attacked and killed.
- One outdoor magazine recently documented the case of a man who killed a bear that attacked him.
- Armies would thus come under fire long before they could even see their enemy, let alone attack his positions.
- Similarly, Woods is attacked for fiercely defending his privacy.
- He was on holiday in Venezuela with his wife when he was attacked and killed.
- He is also linked, though tenuously, to the men who attacked the World Trade Centre in 1993.
- Fully aware of the situation, he is fiercely attacking the administration for its pro-business stances and special-interest politics.
- France controlled most of that territory until 1759 when British forces attacked Quebec City.
- Prominent candidates attacked each other fiercely.
- The Chinese Eastern Railway was attacked not merely by rebels but by regular troops.
- Khadse made headlines when he was brought in to trap panthers after 13 people were attacked and killed by the animals.
- The Plaintiff's daughter was attacked and killed by him.
- Viciously attacked by critics and rejected by the public, the Impressionist painters were outcasts in the art world.
- This is not the first time a controversial film has been attacked before its critics have seen a single frame.
- Coalition forces weren't attacked with weapons of mass destruction.
- Just two years ago, a trade delegation from the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region was also attacked by separatists here, resulting in one death and two injuries.
- Initially, US sources denied American forces had attacked the village, which consisted mainly of mud huts.
- An unnamed woman was attacked and killed by a crocodile while crossing the Enseleni River north of Empangeni early yesterday morning.
- On September 11, 1973 the Chilean armed forces attacked La Moneda, the presidential palace in the centre of Santiago.
- There I spoke to a woman whose mother was attacked and injured by a Komodo dragon - which raised the issue of humans as prey.
- Owenson's status as a professional woman writer was constantly abused by contemporary male reviewers, who savagely attacked everything she wrote.
- Jiao had fiercely attacked the Ministry of Propaganda as an out-of-date dinosaur.
- Vettriano now lives in London after selling his Edinburgh home last year claiming he was sick of being attacked by Scottish art critics.
- He was brutally killed by thieves who attacked him at his home in Belmont.
- He shivered inside when he recalled the coolness with which she had said that she had killed the woman who attacked her.
- In 1892 the lifelong friendship between Lie and Klein broke down and the following year Lie publicly attacked Klein.
- While the band was waiting for authorization to enter the States as working musicians, terrorists attacked the World Trade Centre.
- They also claimed the family's Rottweiler dog had attacked another dog, killed one woman's cat and gone for another woman in the street leaving her shaken up.
- I was in Louisville, Kentucky, on a book tour when terrorists attacked the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.
- In some cases such units were as likely to attack friendly towns and forces as enemy ones.
- She is now making a television programme which attacks those who oppose fox hunting.
- In preparation for urban warfare, the soldiers practised responding to a vehicle ambush, clearing buildings and attacking enemy positions.
- The play was fiercely attacked by critics and made headline news in the tabloids.
- A brave Whitefield man has told how he fought off two thugs who attacked him as they attempted to steal his high-performance Mini.
- She also assured us that the jaguar is not a man-eater - in fact there are no recorded cases of a person being attacked or killed by a jaguar in an unprovoked situation.
- British military forces attacked Mahdi Army positions in Amarah, killing 20 persons and wounding 78.
- We restricted attacks north of certain areas; we didn't attack the enemy's capital.
- However, on a number of occasions in 1999 and 2000 their dogs attacked his animals and killed 22 of them.
- Then he encouraged his men to attack enemy positions, despite the lethal danger from incoming artillery rounds.
- Leuthner was fiercely attacked for his theses at the time by social democratic leader Karl Kautsky.
- He was attacked, killed and later thrown into the river.
- His response to the disaster of the war is to attack those who opposed the war.
- I have a friend who was nearly killed when he was attacked in his apartment with knives from his kitchen, so I understand what the researchers are trying to do here.
- Border clashes worsened when Democratic Kampuchea's military attacked villages in Vietnam.
- Unidentified armed groups continue to attack villages and connecting roads.
- The government deployed additional military forces to attack terrorist strongholds.
- In 1818 he attacked Coleridge savagely in a magazine edited by his son-in-law.
- But plans to house the turbines at Pool Hill, near Kitchenroyd, have been fiercely attacked by residents.
- Dolphins, however, are known to kill sharks by attacking their soft bellies with hard blows from their beaks.
- The Blackfoot became respected as an aggressive military force, attacking and destroying several trading posts in their territory.
- The militants attacked the camp around dawn, firing indiscriminately at guards posted at the main gate.
- We realised that it must have been the same person who killed Tammy who also attacked you.
- But critics have attacked the BBC for lavishing public money on non-programming activities at a time of massive cost-cutting in the organisation.
- Failure to recruit enough doctors and nurses has been criticised in a report attacking west Wiltshire health bosses.
- A plumber named Joe is attacked and killed in the basement, and a long dead corpse is discovered.
- The militants attack Indian forces almost daily in the mountainous province.
- And I've relied on that audience response ever since, to buoy me through periods when I've been attacked by critics.
- Police said the man was shot and killed when he attempted to attack police.
- Another incident occurred in September, when a married couple were killed after they were attacked by an elephant in Pandan Wangi, Indragiri regency, Riau.
- The wife of a York man who nearly died after being savagely attacked by a gang of youths has publicly thanked the people who saved her husband's life.
- The dead include civilians, soldiers and the tribal leader Rahim Bezoni, all killed for refusing to back the fight against the British forces attacking the city.
- He was fiercely attacked, and even some figures who privately sympathized with his views were too cowed to defend him publicly.
- He recently attacked a German political critic by likening him to a Nazi commandant.
- The disease attacks the macula - an area of the retina at the back of the eye that houses light-sensing cells.
- The unknown disease attacked over 200 people gathered for an American Legion convention in Philadelphia.
- The lack of nutrients in the white-sand soil means that plants cannot afford to be attacked by insects, because lost leaf tissue is difficult to replace.
- BSE is almost impossible to distinguish from scrapie, a disease attacking the brain of sheep.
- Now suffering from lupus, a cruel disease which attacks the body's immune system, she has a quick wit and air of irreverence that still make her a delight to interview.
- The trees have been attacked by a bacterial disease known as fire blight.
- Autoimmune diseases result when the immune system attacks the body's own organs, tissues and cells.
- Fungal diseases can attack shoots and leaves but also developing bunches and ripe fruit.
- She said the life-threatening condition developed when her own antibodies attacked the baby's blood cells.
- In 1999 he was diagnosed as being HIV positive, and now, to fight the deadly disease attacking his immune system, he takes drugs to keep himself alive.
- Parkinson's disease attacks and destroys these nerve cells, meaning the brain is starved of dopamine.
- Relieving stress made sense to me because in my work I had seen that plants under stress were the ones most likely to be attacked by diseases and pests.
- The disease usually attacks the lungs but can affect almost any part of the body and is usually curable with an intensive six-month course of antibiotics.
- Richard died from the rare degenerative disease which attacks the central nervous system.
- Sudden oak death is the snappy title which has been given to a devastating fungal disease attacking oaks and other native shrubs throughout North America.
- Larvae of the grape root borer attack the larger roots and crown of grapevines.
- Ironically, when a tree is attacked by insects, it releases certain compounds which some insects actually use to their advantage.
- It attacks only grapevines, and kills vines by attacking their roots.
- Leaves attacked by insects or disease, on the other hand, die under duress, spotted and curled.
- MS is an incurable disease that attacks the central nervous system causing severe disability.
- The disease had attacked her liver and she slipped into a coma.
- The disease attacks the liver and can be fatal in a small number of cases.
2.1(begin enthusiastically)(food) atacar(task) acometer
- He said that drugs have always been a problem and the only way you attack a problem is head on.
- Is there something that you would suggest be put in place that would begin to attack that problem?
- If we truly want to effect change on an aging business practice and culture, we need to attack the problem from both within and without.
- We need to start preparing for the worst and need to attack this issue with the verve and urgency that people had in the last campaign.
- Overnight some of the mail team began attacking the problem.
2.2(deal with)(problem/poverty) combatir
2attacking present participle(forces) de ataque(strategy) ofensivo(strategy) de ataquethe team plays good attacking football — el equipo tiene un buen juego ofensivo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.