In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(physical, verbal)ataque masculineto launch an attack — lanzar un ataque
- terrorist attacks — atentados terroristas
- [in combination] a three-pronged attack — un ataque en tres frentes
- attack is the best form of defense — el ataque es la mejor defensa
- attack on / against sth/sb — ataque a / contra algo/algn
- to come/be under attack — ser atacado
- traditional values are under attack — los valores tradicionales se ven amenazados
- to return to the attack — volver a la carga
- to go over to the attack — pasar al ataque
- the division had left itself open to attack from the rear — la retaguardia de la división había quedado al descubierto
- this policy leaves them open to attack from the opposition — esta política los expone a los ataques de la oposición
- Police are investigating an attack on a woman as she left a toilet at a train station.
- When so out of touch with public and media attacks, that is when a First Minister should turn to his special advisers.
- No claims of responsibility have been made for the subway attack, the worst terrorist attack in Moscow in five years.
- The offender was chased and apprehended by a member of the public who witnessed the attack.
- This cowardly decision was a blow to those already on strike and an attack on the unity of the city workers.
- Police believe he may also be responsible for an attack on a 48-year-old woman last Friday.
- The following day, the government continued its political attack on the opposition.
- Members of a new action group launched an attack on the local police authority at a public meeting on Tuesday.
- How low will it sink in its attacks on progressives and public spending?
- His sporadic cinematic output has been combined with fierce public attacks on the general media situation.
- Eventually, he had to respond to the mounting attacks and criticisms by Labor.
- The admission drew a scathing attack from the Opposition, with Mr Gilmore calling for his resignation.
- In a fierce attack on both Labour and the Tories, he urged all parties to reach a consensus on how the NHS should be managed.
- Five teenagers have been charged following an attack on a police officer which left him needing 10 stitches to his head.
- A government spending watchdog today launched a scathing attack on attempts to cut congestion.
- In the fight against cronyism, Malaysian economist Jomo has endured public attacks, lawsuits and death threats.
- Arnold Schwarzeneggar launched a blistering attack on the fiscal credentials of the opposition party.
- Last week, making his second appearance at the corruption trial, he launched a withering attack on his critics.
- Police are treating an attack on a community church and its vicar as racially-motivated, a spokesman said today.
- There was a real mood in the meeting that an attack on the time limit was the first step in an attack on abortion rights in general.
- The Opposition Leader intensified his attack on the Prime Minister, insisting he had lied to the public.
- Last week, terrorists launched an attack on government facilities in Saudi Arabia.
- London's ex-police chief has launched a vitriolic attack on the minister.
- I did not see how we could withstand a determined attack after nightfall.
- It is the most pathetic attack on public servants I have ever heard in this House.
- Today there will be an exercise involving a mock chemical attack on the City of London.
- The company has suffered public attacks in the US and Western Europe and announced a down-turn in profits earlier in the year.
- The battalion's withdrawal was met by a determined Japanese air attack on the convoy.
- No more will you have to endure the ill-formed attacks of the purchasing public.
- He has yet again launched a personal attack on a public servant without justification.
- Responding to criticism that his attacks on Elton and Madonna in his new biography are unfair, he has decided to set the record straight.
- For those close to the areas under attack, the damage was obvious and the response immediate.
- Later he decided to rise above the criticism and attacks.
- Journalists said that it was an attack on the freedom of press.
- The York Civic Trust's annual report launched a fierce attack on the loss of the city's Victorian heritage to the developers.
- In an attack on a police station, one police officer and an attacker were killed.
- What I want to say here, no, what I have to say here, is that this country, our very way of life and everything we ever stood for, is under attack.
- Police have confirmed they are treating the attack as attempted murder.
- Since then, we have witnessed only one more attempted terrorist attack on a plane.
- In February police arrested nine Moroccans suspected of planning an attack on the US embassy in Rome.
- They were shot as they launched an attack on the police station using guns and a bomb in the bucket of a mechanical digger.
- An attack on private education is itself a thinly veiled assault on those who choose to use it.
- In Tikrit, guerrillas detonated two car bombs in an attack on a police checkpoint.
- And having made her a public figure, he must have expected her to be subjected to public scrutiny and political attacks.
1.2Medicineataque masculineasthma/panic attack — ataque de asma/pánico
- heart attack — infarto
- she had / suffered an attack — le dio un ataque
- he's suffered several attacks of malaria — ha tenido malaria varias veces
- an anxiety attack — un ataque de ansiedad
- Collins suffered from severe attacks of a rheumatic illness which caused him great pain, only relieved by the use of opium.
- Several treatments are available to help make the attacks shorter and less severe.
- They are commonly used for relieving sudden attacks of asthma and preventing exercise-induced asthma.
- The weather is so depressing that I am convinced it is the reason behind my sudden attack of vomiting.
- Many medications are currently available to relieve the symptoms of acute migraine attacks.
- All these triggers can irritate the airways in your lungs, making an asthma attack more likely.
- For the thousands of people who have trigeminal neuralgia, attacks of such pain are frequent and can often seem unbearable.
- There was a past history of migraine attacks and bouts of coughing.
- Poorly cleaned heating systems also contribute to asthma and allergy attacks in the fall and winter, say researchers.
- An attack of rheumatic fever may last for six weeks or longer.
- The best way to prevent asthma attacks is to identify and avoid indoor and outdoor allergens and irritants.
- Most doctors will start chronic treatment of epilepsy if two or more attacks occur in a short interval.
- The illness results in recurrent attacks of chills and fever and can be deadly.
- The type of treatment that is given depends on how often the asthma attacks occur and how bad the symptoms are.
- A sudden attack of viral encephalitis left him in a deep coma with a dire prognosis.
- Some people with asthma never have a severe attack, only a little wheezing or the occasional bout of coughing.
- Patients with acute cholecystitis may have a history of attacks of biliary colic or they may have been asymptomatic until the presenting episode.
- When a person has asthma, an attack can be started by a number of different things.
- There may be attacks of sudden breathlessness during the night.
- Sudden attacks lasting for a few days with symptom-free intervals.
- Short but recurrent attacks of vertigo are often caused by benign positional vertigo.
(part of team)delantera feminine
1(army/government/policy/target) atacar(person) atacar(person) agredirI felt I was being attacked — me sentí agredida
3(begin enthusiastically)(food) atacar(task) acometer
4(deal with)(poverty/problem) combatir
- It pitched the team with the finest defence against the team with the finest attack.
- It is only in the attack that the team is at present wanting.
- There is only one revolving spot in the Clare attack and five players have sustainable claims on it.
- Nel added that the South African team had a different attack, with different dimensions, for the last Test.
- Ryan Wayne added little to the attack and like other players ran up blind alleys.
- He took off Dan Green, he explained, because he wanted a bigger player in the middle of the attack.
- This was an excellent team performance based on a solid defence and an attack full of flair.
- Also back to bolster the Clan attack are team captains Joseph Marrello and Kevin Todd.
- Goal attack was replaced by former national skipper Deepthi Rupasinghe.
- Man of the Match went to Paula Clayton who led the attack and was a central player in an excellent team performance.
- The Northants attack did not feature any first-team players, but still caused plenty of problems.
- Teams consist of seven players, split three and three in attack and defence, with a goalkeeper at the back.
- Dean Windass and Danny Cadamarteri have shaken off knocks and will team up again in attack at Rotherham tomorrow.
- Barry Conlon, who scored for the reserves in midweek could be pressing for a recall to the attack alongside David McNiven.
- Despite playing almost no part in qualifying, Henrik Larsson returns to lead the attack.
- Australian striker Mark Viduka is hoping for a recall to an attack which has totalled just four goals in the last six matches.
- With Ian Fitzgerald ruled out with a rib injury again only three of the attack retained their positions.
- Fortunately for the home team, their defence proved as impressive as their attack had been earlier in the game.
2(forces) de ataque(strategy) ofensivo(strategy) de ataquethe team plays good attacking football — el equipo tiene un buen juego ofensivo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.