In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1agresor masculineagresora feminineatacante feminine
- He elbowed the man in the face as he was struck in the side by one of the previous attackers.
- A sex attacker who struck in an alleyway in daylight was today being hunted by police.
- Police admit that her killer may be a serial attacker who has struck at least six times.
- She struggled with her attacker but was thrown to the ground and the mugger ran off with her handbag.
- He is convinced the attacker will strike again and he warns the next time it could be even more serious.
- The victim of a vicious nightclub assault has appealed for witnesses to help police catch his attacker.
- Police are still unsure if he was murdered by a gang or a lone attacker.
- In conventional jails, vicious murderers and sex attackers have little incentive to behave well or change.
- Police believe the youths did not know their attackers and were the victims of an unprovoked assault.
- College bosses have pointed out the attackers were not students and the incident happened off-campus.
- As soon as engineers repair the speed traps, the mystery attacker strikes again.
- She managed to fight off the attacker during the assault in February last year.
- When he stopped to check whether his vehicle had been damaged, the attackers overpowered him.
- The other attacker, only 16 at the time of the assault, has been released more recently.
- The attackers were apparently disturbed when a neighbour's dog started barking.
- Not one of those attackers has been convicted or punished for these crimes.
- One of her co-workers was badly injured and another was killed, as was one of the attackers.
- In January the authorities charged the two alleged attackers with murder and arson.
- Despite an intensive police search, neither the attacker nor his two assailants were found.
- Their attacker pleaded guilty to wounding and assault at Manchester Crown Court.
- Waving a large metal bar one of the attackers threatened staff before striking one across the head.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.