In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tía femininetiíta feminine informal
- My mum was really down after my nana died, so my aunty who lives in America decided to treat her to a holiday.
- Our children have lost an aunty, and most importantly the three children have been left without a mother.
- Grandma, grandad, uncles, aunties and all the cousins are now tagging along too.
- He regrets this, but insists, ‘I didn't come from a close family and I never felt any particular irrational impulse to be nice to old aunties.’
- Tonight after work I am picking up my aunty from the airport.
- The highlight of her holidays was the huge barbecue for all of her family, including her aunty who was visiting from Canada.
- We have tried to make it like a visit to an aunty's for them, giving them a glass of orange and a biscuit and then playing with them.
- I am now once more motivated to tell the next aunty who asks me when I'm getting married, that I'll get married when I damn well want to.
- I've been living with my aunty in Sydney.
- He then rang his aunties, an uncle and his grandad who came to the rescue.
- Kristin's greatest joy was being an aunty to her nephew Derek.
- He'd been neglected by his mother and brought up by his aunty.
- I come from a large family stacked with women, consisting of four sisters and twelve aunties, who have taught me how to survive in a totalitarian world in order to survive in any world.
- However, when the big day arrives, what can you do if your presents aren't perfect or you don't like that jumper your aunty bought you?
- There to encourage him were all his aunties and their respective partners, his extended family and his little brother Ben, who were all so proud of his radio debut.
- ‘Most of my uncles, aunties and friends were musicians, songwriters in their own right or heavily into music,’ he explains.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.