In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1prometedorauspicioso Southern Conehe has made a most auspicious start — ha comenzado con muy buenos auspicios / de manera muy prometedora
- on this auspicious occasion — en esta feliz ocasión
- "The 10th, the 12th, and the 18th are appropriately auspicious dates on the Chinese calendar, " he said.
- Destiny plays a significant role at this point as the right people and opportunities come at an auspicious time when you are ready to take them on.
- For Hindus, it is important that a child be born at an auspicious time.
- It was a sweltering spring bank holiday, and he had not had long to prepare for such an auspicious moment.
- It was the end of an auspicious era for one of Scotland's most successful, if unheralded, sportsmen.
- It was certainly an auspicious start, and most merchants are hopeful that the worst is behind them, and that there will be better days ahead.
- An auspicious sign of record label interest might be when the company boss starts offering to carry your gear.
- Guests are greeted with an oversized image of the moon maiden and tables have an infusion of auspicious red for linen.
- Despite its auspicious and promising beginning, the Public Broadcasting Service largely has failed its congressional mandate.
- It comes into my life at an auspicious moment, as I will be hitting the road on Sunday.
- Such timely rainfall is considered very auspicious in our religious tradition.
- The astronomers' observations were used to divine auspicious moments for many different kinds of activity, from farming to warfare.
- Because he sensed this was an auspicious moment, my father came around to the front entrance of the house, and my mother, who was in the courtyard, heard him enter.
- Until the end of February, cloud cover is quite intense - not an auspicious time therefore to be conducting flight sorties or reconnaissance missions.
- It was not an auspicious moment to make their dream a reality.
- This isn't an auspicious time to make solid promises or definite commitments - or expect them from anyone else.
- You go to a fortune teller who decides on a more lucky or more auspicious name and has it engraved on your spoon.
- The lowest layer contains rice or wheat flour, the second layer has clothes and jewellery, and on the top layer are items with auspicious meanings such as dates and walnuts, together with the formal letter of engagement.
- At the auspicious moment the dignitaries press the button to officially launch the plant.
- Your mail comes at a most auspicious moment, and the precise nature of your inquiry saves me from the rigmarole of empty theory.
- ‘This is an auspicious moment for our company,’ says its co-founder.
- The banana is an auspicious plant in India, a sign of prosperity and fertility, and occupies a prominent part in the traditional decorations in any function.
- These are not auspicious conditions either for future sales or the supply of ambitious workers.
- These ‘lucky’ dollar bills have auspicious serial numbers and come in colored folders.
- Timing is terribly important in the book trade and the publishers might have chosen to hold it back until a more auspicious moment.
- The omens look auspicious for Ainslie to repeat his 2000 success and inspire a British gold haul.
- As mum and dad took photographs or recorded the auspicious moment on the camcorder, the youngsters played happily and tentative new friendships were formed.
- 108 is an auspicious, lucky number in Indian spiritual tradition.
- The patterns displayed the dragon, the phoenix, cranes and magpies, all auspicious animals representing nobility, luck, fortune and longevity.
- So maybe this isn't the most auspicious moment for trying to get everybody to get along.
- While all wait for the auspicious moment to tie the knot, these bureaus are always on the move.
- The story said that fire was the auspicious element responsible for the success of the Han Dynasty.
- But auspicious beginnings are not always reliable predictors of sustained success.
- His auspicious debut might have given him the leverage to realize some of his grander plans.
- But since the process is 85% successful, the omens are auspicious.
- Many wait for the most astrologically auspicious moment, which is 12: 59 pm on Wednesday, July 30.
- I do think it is an auspicious sign that women can vote and run for office.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.