In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- As revolution spread to Palermo, Milan and Naples it seemed as if the people of Italy could break the domination of the myriad of foreign rulers and domestic autocrats.
- Political leaders, especially autocrats and dictators, have always used writing for propaganda purposes.
- Instead, he seeks to change it by promoting liberty, freedom, and eventual democracy in countries ruled by autocrats.
- It will always contain dictators, autocrats and murderous opportunists who will seek power and its spoils without regard for the death and suffering of others.
- It has been suggested so far that the more popular or media-centred depiction of the prime minister as an autocrat may be more of a caricature than an accurate portrait.
- And it is evidence, observers say, that sustained political engagement, party training, and civil-society building can eventually bring down autocrats.
- We understand we are making the terrorists, dictators and autocrats nervous.
- Democrats can build state capacity, probably more effectively than autocrats.
- Such security measures have always been associated with autocrats who are profoundly aware of the depth of the popular hatred they arouse.
- In order to justify the internal repression that is inherent in non-democratic rule, dictators and autocrats must mobilize their nation for wars against both internal and external enemies.
- They established a framework for a strongly authoritarian government and placed no limitations on the powers of the autocrat.
- In other cases, autocrats have been forced to introduce modest political changes but have nonetheless managed to limit their scope and hold on to power.
- And he was, if you like, an absolute autocrat, a ruler.
- Somewhere even the dictators and autocrats who send ambassadors to dialogue with ambassadors from free states know that to be true.
- Mind, one would not call them politicians; one would call them despots, or autocrats.
- Like every autocrat who has ever seized power, she insisted that she had no alternative but to sack a corrupt and treacherous government.
- The ageing autocrat obviously intended to remain in power at any cost and by any means.
- Peace required a deeply conservative political order, built on a single party, run by a paternal autocrat.
- An autocrat like Genghis Khan who imposes his will on others, without any reference to principles, does not operate in the realm of justice.
- The fact that the extremists and autocrats have had to resort now to unspeakable violence shows how much they have failed to win the war of ideas.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.