In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- That's why in dictatorships or autocratic regimes those in power move quickly to suppress a free press.
- As President he had power and patronage enough to secure by intimidation and bribery the promulgation of a constitution which gave him autocratic power.
- But in other areas there will be total chaos because none of these autocratic rulers have any line of succession.
- Democratic movements had started out with the noble intentions of ending the tyranny of autocratic rulers.
- Other political figures insisted that no changes be made to the autocratic 1945 constitution that gives the president wide powers.
- Remember how the autocratic ruler managed to cling on to power after a controversial war, and waged long and bloody battles against the French?
- The attempts to subvert the constitution and establish an autocratic form of rule have been on the agenda for quite some time.
- It was deployed by autocratic rulers as an instrument of deep and vast social control.
- These are dictatorial and autocratic procedures.
- Friedrich was an autocratic ruler; he gave his ministers and generals no real responsibility.
- Elsewhere in the world, when autocratic or undemocratic regimes have passed away, audiences for foreign radio always go into steep decline as the local media improve.
- An autocratic regime had survived, but the confidence and the security it had once possessed had cracked.
- Even the most autocratic regime must, at the very least, concern itself with popular disorder.
- It has often been termed a socialistic empire, for it was an aristocratic and autocratic socialism, not a democratic one.
- A global democracy where most of the world is excluded by their own autocratic rulers is scarcely worth having.
- This time democratic rather than autocratic states are determining the shape of the new world.
- The upsurge of hundreds of thousands of ordinary people forced the government out, destroyed a centuries-old autocratic monarchy and ended the war.
- Before the elections, no objections had been aired about the party's constitution or its autocratic structure.
- Aid to autocratic regimes often fuels corruption and impedes reform.
- It will not be possible for anything like these figures to go through unless the Government takes autocratic powers, and uses them to the full.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.