In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(state/region) autónomoautonomous peripheral — periférico autónomo masculine
- The Spanish government designated it as an autonomous region in 1985.
- But those elections may not prevent the country effectively dividing into three autonomous regions.
- The autonomous region is now in the next stage of a grindingly long battle between tradition and modernity.
- There were seventeen of them - one minister from each of the seventeen autonomous regions.
- The State Council has stipulated that each province, municipality and autonomous region must report on traffic safety every quarter.
- There is no autonomous indigenous community, independent of the state.
- Soon it was in conflict with an autonomous republic in its territory, which it wanted to retain.
- The Aland Islands are a self-governing autonomous part of Finland.
- The process was designed, in Stalin's words, to produce republics and autonomous regions that were national in form, but socialist in content.
- Federalism is a trickier concept in the European context because the Member States are not political subdivisions of the Union, but rather sovereign and autonomous entities.
- It resembles more a treaty between separate autonomous nation states than a real binding constitution for a single European state.
- Farmers held protests last week in 11 of the country's autonomous regions, calling for compensation.
- The arid land of this autonomous republic supports a nomadic lifestyle.
- By contrast the perspective of creating a separate state or an autonomous region was geared to the requirements of the elite.
- The country is divided into twenty-three provinces, five autonomous regions, and four municipalities.
- They have established an alternative system of government with autonomous regions, and district and village level authorities.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.