In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This allowed for greater autonomy within the boundaries of the Federal Republic.
- It first took up arms in 1949 to demand autonomy from the military government.
- A former province of a state is being prepared for substantial autonomy and self-government.
- Its aim was to suspend the moves towards separation for three months, whilst negotiating greater autonomy within a federal structure.
- Prior to 1917 the Bolsheviks had opposed the concept of federalism, preferring regional autonomy within a unitary state.
- It first took up arms in 1949 to demand autonomy from the central government of the time.
- A relatively small group of nationalists demand outright independence for the island while others prefer autonomy within the French Republic.
- To optimists among them, at the very least the war seems to offer an opportunity for enhanced autonomy within a federal state.
- The central government has said it is prepared to give the province autonomy within a federal system.
- Both parties combine calls for greater regional autonomy with demands for a larger share of tax revenues for themselves.
- For their part, the latter have signalled their readiness to drop their previous threat to split off from the rest of the country and abandon plans for a referendum on autonomy.
- Peaceful protests were from the beginning dealt with violently, fuelling local sympathies for autonomy or independence.
- It is demanding autonomy for the rich eastern lowland region where the natural gas reserves are concentrated.
- For its part, the government has proposed constitutional changes to give limited autonomy to the north and east.
- The political dilemma of balancing a competition-focused business with autonomy for nations and regions is obvious.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.