In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1otoño masculine(weather/day) (before noun) de otoño(day/weather) (before noun) otoñalin (the) autumn — en (el) otoño
- in the autumn of his life — en el otoño de su vida
- autumn colors — colores otoñales
- autumn term — primer trimestre
- Only once have I seen out a full summer here, many autumns I have been away, but to date I have missed only two springs.
- Ohio wineries have discovered that their long autumns and late November freezes are ideal.
- One touring show has fallen by the wayside since the autumn season brochures were printed.
- Limit future infections by keeping excess moisture off the foliage in the autumn and winter.
- In consequence the autumn colours are muted, just soft dusty yellows for the most part.
- We will soon have the main autumn leaf fall on top of this, resulting in clogged up drains.
- Colorado has the most lovely summers and autumns.
- As part of this task he travelled to the United States on a fact finding tour in the autumn of 1898.
- In autumn when the leaves lie thick on the ground, these diligent workers sweep up and bag the leaves.
- She said a holiday booked in the autumn of one year might be taken the following autumn.
- He said it was given to her in the autumn of 1997, with a copy kept for the company's files.
- Visit in late summer or autumn, though, and you will see this charming medieval city at its best.
- In the autumn of the following year I was in Dudley town centre, a place I rarely visited.
- At 42, he is in the autumn of his career and cannot quite work out why he keeps winning.
- Romania has hot summers, cool autumns, and cold winters with snow and winds.
- All trials were conducted in the autumn of 1996, and summers and autumns of 1997 and 1998, during the dry season characteristic of the region.
- In the U.K. we will have hotter springs and summers, with warm but extremely wet autumns and winters.
- From the start of the autumn term in September, she will be deputy head teacher at Headlands.
- It will be warmer all year round, with most of the warming taking place in the summer and the autumn.
- Come autumn, the leaf colour warms up, becoming singed with red, a real treat to witness.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.