In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the avant-garde — la vanguardia
- I got into medieval music and the avant-garde, all the fringe stuff that people didn't like, the punk rock of classical music.
- This ethics of language, so central to Barthes's promotion of the avant-garde, may help to account for a puzzling feature of his criticism.
- Ives may have sympathised with progressive ideas and there are occasional glimpses of the avant-garde in the Art Palace selection.
- This genre intersects the literary avant-garde, visual and concrete poetry, text-based installations, net art, software art, and netspeak.
- A passionate advocate for the avant-garde in both literature and film, B.S. Johnson gained notoriety for his forthright views on the future of the novel and for his idiosyncratic ways of putting them into practice.
- He is maybe a bit like the great Serge Gainsbourg, who was also mixing pop music and the avant-garde.
- The post-modernist movement challenged the Modernist notion of the avant-garde.
- This is the American theatre and opera director - weaned on the avant-garde, marinated in the aesthetics of southeast Asia - who became famous working with Disney on The Lion King.
- They are champions of the avant-garde, which explains how they come to be marooned for a fortnight in a chateau in the middle of a Belgian forest rehearsing a piece called Partitum Mutande.
- It is set at the intersections of the literary avant-garde, visual and concrete poetry, text-based electronic installation art, net art and software art.
- Dance music, of course, was never a single tradition, and that was its strength - the ability to draw on anything from African classical music to European avant-garde.
- The re-emergence of the avant-garde, modernism's trope par excellence, marks the return of the repressed in contemporary art.
- They were a remarkable couple, forward-thinking patrons of the arts who throughout their lives supported the avant-garde in art and architecture.
- With modernism and the avant-garde, postmodernists reject realism, mimesis, and linear forms of narrative.
- There's so much great music in the world, from jazz, to Mozart, to rock, to French Impressionism, to folk music, the avant-garde, etc.
- Experimentation, the avant-garde, suddenly becomes something barbarous and ineffective.
- Even during the brief periods of thaw there was little space for innovation, critique, or the avant-garde.
- For all its pretensions towards reinvention, Glasgow remained deeply suspicious of the avant-garde.
- The city has a reputation for being the one place where rock music and the avant-garde have merged with results that are spectacular rather than excruciating.
- Or one can question whether the cool, objectivizing aesthetic of the avant-garde ever really was.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.