In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1promedio masculinemedia femininean average of 90 people a day — 90 personas al día como término medio
- she's very small — why, what's the average for her age? — es muy bajita — ¿por qué? ¿cuál es la altura normal para su edad?
- I earn $600 a week on (an) average — gano un promedio / una media de 600 dólares a la / por semana
- to take the average of sth — hacer / sacar el promedio / la media de algo
- above/below (the) average — por encima/por debajo de la media
- Chippenham fuel prices are above the national average, reaching 83.9p a litre in some petrol stations.
- Quite why Bradford should be so much above the national average is unclear.
- The school was above the national average in this category.
- A school district Inspector General's report found chaos in the handling of projects and said that consultants' fees were above national averages.
- Southampton has made great strides over the past six years in closing the gap between our results and the national averages, and we are proud of this achievement.
- To repeat, we measured the perceived overall extent of succession planning by the average of the averages obtained for the five parts of the process.
- Determine the average per nozzle by dividing the total output by the number of nozzles on the boom.
- Home prices in Shanghai are more than twice the national average, and rose by nearly a quarter last year.
- That is more than twice the national average over the past decade - 6 million acres.
- Data in the figures is an average of the data obtained in the presence and absence of FCS.
- Results are above national averages, with pupils particularly shining in this summer's tests for 14-year-olds.
- St Tiernan's College recorded biology results that were far higher than the national average.
- He said that Bolton's highways are above the national average for cleanliness.
- Student loans are being processed above the national average in Essex.
- Paradoxically, this is way above the national average 13 for a unitary authority.
- Parents will be given report cards detailing their child's results and placing them in the context of a national average.
- Pupils continue to achieve well in Years 1 and 2 and reach standards in reading, maths and science that match and sometimes exceed national averages and the results of similar schools.
- Standards in maths are very high and are well above the national average in English and science.
- Across Leeds as a whole results have improved on last year, and the city's schools are above the national average in all three subjects.
- Sutton's senior schools are performing well above the national average, new Government figures reveal.
1Mathematics(age/time) medio(age/time) promediothe average speed — la velocidad media
- he is of average height — es de estatura mediana / regular
2(typical)that's about average for a man of your height — eso es lo normal en / para un hombre de tu estatura
- the average man — el hombre medio
- the average family spends $35 a day on food — la familia tipo gasta $35 al día en comida
- she's not your average pop singer — no es la típica cantante pop
3(ordinary)how was the movie? — average — ¿qué tal la película? — normal / nada del otro mundo
- a very average meal — una comida nada especial / bastante mediocre
1(do, get on average)he averages $2,000 a week — gana un promedio / una media de 2.000 dólares por semana
- we averaged 80 miles a day — hicimos un promedio / una media de 80 millas al día
- the temperature has averaged 5°C over the last 12 days — durante los pasados 12 días la temperatura media ha sido de 5°C
- If cities like Manchester and Sheffield can average six per cent, why can't we?
- Iran has one of the highest road accident rates in the world, averaging five deaths every two hours.
- On agricultural goods the custom duty rate will average 74 per cent, the same as last year.
- For example, in Canada part-time wages average 55.9 percent of full-time wages.
- They are demanding pay increases to keep pace with inflation which is currently averaging 3 percent a year.
- He averaged the least amount of playing time he had since his second season.
- People living in Glasgow city centre boast some of the lowest car-ownership rates, averaging one car for every five adults.
- By the end of the year, inflation will average between seven and eight per cent.
- The business now concentrates solely on milk production, averaging an annual output of 2.3 million litres.
- Inflation is expected to average 0.7 per cent this year and 1.1 per cent next year.
- The German air force claims the Eurofighter has averaged an hour a week in the air.
- A teacher in California maybe averages an annual salary of $52,000.
- It also said that the rate of unemployment is expected to average 4.2 per cent this year and next year.
- Later the line moved indoors; we were told that the wait had averaged two hours for the entire day.
- She had been contracted to average a 20-hour week but was averaging only 15 to 16 hours a week.
- At the nearby Lady Tennyson small amounts of copper ore averaging twenty-five to thirty percent were also raised.
- The upshot is that the parents of Irish babies are averaging a mere 5.5 hours of unbroken sleep.
- The company continues to expand at a rate averaging 30 new stores a month.
- Angelini said mainland occupancy rates averaged 66 per cent in the first four months of the year.
- The US economy has averaged around four percent annual growth over the past five years.
2Mathematicscalcular el promedio decalcular la media depromediar
1regularI did about average in the test — me fue regular en la prueba
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.