In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(wait for)esperarwe are anxiously awaiting more news — estamos impacientes a la espera de / esperando más noticias
- await further instructions — espere a recibir nuevas instrucciones
- the result still awaits confirmation — el resultado no ha sido confirmado aún
- prisoners awaiting trial — detenidos a la espera de juicio
- a long awaited event — un acontecimiento muy esperado
- Odessa are well on the way to completing their eagerly awaited debut album, which is due out early May.
- As the three boys awaited the end of snack, they strolled all around the school campus.
- After a few minutes the whole of the crew were on the command deck and awaiting the briefing.
- The man appeared before a magistrate and was remanded to Bordelais to await trial.
- I constantly kept looking out of my bedroom window awaiting the big event.
- This depicts a seated lady with an animal head, in front of whom are two animals that appear to be awaiting sacrifice.
- We await your performance with interest and not a little trepidation.
- She had earlier spent several months in the prison on remand while awaiting trial.
- We ordered at the servery and while awaiting our meal viewed the tranquil scene.
- I doubt whether fine moral judgements are that convincing to a heifer awaiting its death.
- Our legal advice is that we must await the conclusion of the tribunal report.
- She says she has done whatever she can in this life and now she only awaits death at the right time.
- Cavalry were meant to await a breakthrough before exploiting breaches in enemy lines with a heroic drive forward.
- Possibly it will convince me that it is time to get a proper job, settle down and get married and have kids and await my inevitable death.
- He said the postmortem results on the cause of the baby's death were awaited.
- On one occasion, her cooker broke down on a Sunday morning, while six guests awaited their breakfast.
- Grace moved over to a pile of flowers located not far from the bodies that awaited burial.
- That the sequels are the most eagerly awaited cinematic event of the year is not in question.
- The trout fishing event was eagerly awaited, there was a large entry for Senior and Junior events.
- This event is anxiously awaited every year by those Pattaya folk who know how to shop for a great bargain.
2(be in store for)esperaraguardarwho knows what fate awaits us — quién sabe qué suerte nos espera / aguarda
- Many of our soldiers, sailors and airmen will be lost or severely wounded many lives will be shattered as a very grave period awaits us.
- A little surprise awaited me inside the building I had seen my whole life and never been inside.
- A rich assortment awaits the kids with illustrated mythologies to the latest fun publications.
- An even bigger surprise awaits fans of Dylan's craft who make it to the end of the piece.
- It only took several seconds to reach his locker and another surprise awaited him.
- All that was before any of us realised what a long, drawn out affair was awaiting us.
- Another unique transportation adventure awaits you on one of Hong Kong's buses or trams.
- He says that a bigger trauma awaited him after the theft, in the form of claiming insurance.
- A whole new carbohydrate-heavy cuisine awaits you; can I have some bread with my rice and noodles?
- Some of the tribunals are still in session, and we don't yet know what nasty shocks await us.
- Once in the driving seat, a truly great motoring experience awaits you.
- If we still insist on remaining blind, only worse kinds of defeat will await us in the future.
- Fame, fortune and an executive directorship awaits you should you succeed.
- Another surprise awaits us when we calculate the length of the diagonal across the brick.
- These were the treasures that awaited us at the local candy store, a mere crosswalk away.
- We share what we have, one homeless person to another, and so step a little closer to the home that finally awaits us.
- He had already printed out our tickets and the ferry awaited us, and the three people behind us.
- The biggest prizes at the top events await anyone who can conquer their nerves and make the most of the current gap in the market.
- What adventures await our hero in the post-communist utopia of the Czech Republic?
- But mostly I see and feel every step and every breath as a prayer… with thanks for all that awaits me.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.