In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He didn't need to see James' face to picture the incredulous expression with awe-inspiring clarity.
- Sleeping out in the African bush under a sickle moon is one of the most awe-inspiring experiences - as long as you have a choice, of course.
- The Boschian art direction here is impressive, with awe-inspiring architecture and angry, blackened skies.
- Against such an awe-inspiring backdrop it's impossible not to look amazing, and they did.
- Yet ineptitude at the back could not entirely explain away this truly awe-inspiring spectacle.
- He wasn't given to being easily impressed, but she was an awe-inspiring sight.
- The result is awe-inspiring and beautiful: the largest piece of functional sculpture you will ever see.
- The choreographed lights to the music created an awe-inspiring spectacle as the orchestra and singers played and sang.
- Flying over the high mountain ranges emphasises why road travel is so tortuous, but the sight of these peaks and ravines is awe-inspiring.
- This restaurant reportedly has top-notch seafood, slick service and awe-inspiring decor.
- It makes you wonder if the Minister yawned before issuing that awe-inspiring comment.
- America still churns with many fierce, and amazing, and awe-inspiring things, from all over the place.
- From the heights of the extraordinary and awe-inspiring they return to the ordinary.
- The variety of problems and progress reported on was awe-inspiring.
- Immortalized, but he ain't gonna be scribbling no more awe-inspiring lyrics in a hurry.
- This awe-inspiring achievement comes with some appropriately impressive scientific equipment.
- I can stare at this masterpiece for hours, seeing something new and awe-inspiring in the picture every day.
- The city has the most awe-inspiring skyline in the world.
- Do we have a sudden urge to squeeze our lover when we look out on a sunset, an awe-inspiring vista or a dreamy landscape?
- It speaks of his spectacular success, and of his equally awe-inspiring killing.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.