In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1informalhe's awfully rich — es riquísimo
- they were awfully kind — fueron amabilísimos
- that's awfully nice of you — es muy amable de tu parte
- that's awfully rude of them — ¡qué grosería (de su parte)!
- I'm awfully sorry — lo siento de veras / en el alma
- it's not awfully difficult/important — no es terriblemente difícil/importante
- You must be awfully proud of Kyle, as I know you are of your other kids.
- I felt a blush spread over my face - he must think I was awfully clumsy.
- Pressure from powerful corners must make it awfully easy to misplace files.
- Helen is quite heartbroken, and I feel awfully sorry for her.
- It is two in the afternoon, the weather is awfully hot, and you are struck in a traffic jam.
- Not an environment devoted to the life of the mind, but the weather was awfully nice.
- I just can't help feeling awfully sorry for him, though.
- He must get awfully nervous when Gary Bauer and James Dobson call.
- It does take a while for the yarn to arrive - but it's awfully nice to have it arrive by Canada Post.
- I must have been feeling awfully ambitious to set myself such a daunting assignment!
- The people who work for my publisher are awfully nice.
- Sometimes saying sorry is an awfully good idea.
- As a final note, thanks awfully for all the pay cheques.
- For being famous and horsey and whatnot, they were awfully nice and a lot of fun.
- He did have awfully nice legs though - firm and powerful looking.
- As it is, when she utters them on court, I have to keep reminding myself that she's really an awfully nice gal.
- Well, not especially, thanks awfully.
- And they're really awfully nice when you get to know them.
- These heroes must grow up awfully fast in this day and age.
- Which is awfully nice of her, but I feel - to use an appropriate piece of therapy-speak - somewhat conflicted.
- I must say that those days were awfully nice.
- Dundee must seem awfully liberal by comparison.
- I played awfully a couple of times, even stupidly.
- It was with a guy who spoke awfully.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.