In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
2the Axis — el Eje
- Soon, the Axis powers, led by Nazi Germany, had conquered the whole of Europe.
- Their secret agenda, crushing the Axis into submission, was holy and treated as such.
- Walshe was an admirer of Mussolini and when the war began he favoured an Axis victory.
- As a nation, we can hold our heads high for the role we played in defeating the Nazis and the tyranny of the Axis powers.
- Its name originated as a cover term for the countries which fought against the Axis in the Second World War.
- Unlike the Grand Alliance, the Axis coalition formed by the pact had no agreed strategy for fighting the war.
- By the summer of 1943, it was already apparent that the Axis powers were confronting defeat.
- In 1940, Franco declined Hitler's request to join the Axis in World War Two.
- If Britain controlled the Suez then Germany and the Axis powers could not use it.
- Neither XXX nor XIII Corps were able to break through to exploit the more open country to the rear of the Axis position.
- The Axis in response sought to hold Tunisia with fresh troops and the remnants of the German-Italian army that had fled Egypt.
- There, they pronounced the formula of unconditional surrender for the Axis powers.
- The Axis of German forces were dug in along two lines, called by the Allies the Oxalic Line and the Pierson Line.
- The defeat of the Afrika Korps was a brutal blow to the Axis powers.
- Delivering a left hook to try to trap the Axis forces on the Mareth Line, Freyberg hesitated at the vital moment.
- Both the Allies and the Axis countries were looking for a new way to encrypt messages - a way that would result in complete security.
- In North Africa, it represented the whole Free World against the Axis powers - Germany and Italy.
- The Allies are led by Britain, the Axis by Germany and the Comintern by the Soviet Union.
- As someone who played a victim of the Nazis, I doubt he would've wanted no one to stand up and fight against Hitler and the Axis, ya know?
- Of course, these weapons were useless if they could not be brought to bear against the Axis powers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.