In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The easiest plants to move are those with thin, compact and fibrous root systems such as rhododendrons, azaleas, pieris, hydrangeas and boxwoods.
- Flowers are blooming weeks earlier than usual with Castle Howard boasting daffodils, snowdrops, rhododendrons, azaleas and crocuses.
- And the azalea, rare rhododendrons, oak, holly, birch and sycamore have altered only in the context of nature's sedate march.
- The spectacular spring flowers of azaleas and rhododendrons make them among the most popular garden shrubs.
- Smooth hydrangea, sweet shrub, and deciduous azaleas bloom under the oaks.
- With that in mind I plan a grouping of azaleas and rhododendrons in the corner formed by the house and wall.
- There is also a big selection of azaleas and rhododendrons as well as other shrubs such as potentilla.
- Both azaleas and rhododendrons should be pruned after flowering.
- These two waterways enhance the beauty of the property at any time but especially when the rhododendrons and azaleas are flowering on their banks and reflected in the water.
- Rhododendrons, magnolia, azaleas and camellias are all planted here in great abundance.
- Add flowering azaleas, rhododendrons, and dogwood nearby for a wonderful color combination.
- Gardenias like an acidic soil and so grow well with camellias, azaleas and rhododendrons.
- These are gardens for all seasons with the rhododendron dell, the azaleas and flowering cherry trees in spring, and the rose gardens in summer.
- The gardens are bounded by rhododendrons as well as azaleas, while in the woodlands there are snowdrops, bluebells, daffodils and narcissi.
- But the rest of the rhododendrons and evergreen azaleas kept their rich green color.
- Other favorite flowers are pussy willow, azalea, peony and water lily or narcissus.
- Old Jack Frost and harsh winter winds are drying out plants with shallow roots, such as azaleas and rhododendrons.
- Using shelterbelts of yew, box and laurel they began collections of azaleas, magnolias, rhododendrons and camellias.
- As those flowers of early spring begin to fade the azaleas and rhododendrons and later flowering cherry trees in parks and home gardens provide a feast of colour.
- Rhododendrons and azaleas will continue to sell despite deer, black vine weevil, phytophhora, and rhizoc, but should they?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.