In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Humans and gorillas are sister taxa and are more closely related to one another than either is to chimpanzees or baboons.
- Currently we've got warthogs, monkeys, a baboon, small antelopes, a scrub hare and an Egyptian goose.
- In terms of wildlife, you find elephant, buffalo, hippos, baboons, chimpanzees and over 600 species of birds.
- Apart from those already mentioned there are zebras, camels, baboons, lemurs, sea lions, humboldt penguins, tapirs and meerkats.
- Genetic tests indicate that the viruses came from chimpanzees, baboons, and an African green monkey.
- The crater is home to elephant, buffalo, baboon, reedbuck, colobus monkeys, leopard and duikers.
- They included baboons, chimpanzees, and macaques - all known to live in large, mixed-sex groups.
- Three species of baboons and several large leaf monkeys are recognized.
- Such pets weren't limited to dogs and cats but included baboons, monkeys, and gazelles.
- By contrast, many Old World monkeys, such as baboons and macaques, live longer, start to reproduce later, and have more time between babies.
- Much of the supposed behaviour of Lucy and her companions is clearly modelled on baboons - yet baboons are monkeys and not apes at all.
- Warthog, bushpig, baboon, velvet monkey and many small mammals are also in good numbers.
- In this park of 137 sq km area, you will see baboon, colobus and vervet monkeys, duikers, elephant, buffalo, giraffe, hippo, leopard, hyena, zebra and a wide range of antelopes.
- Before trials are approved for humans, the experiments first have to be done on species closest to us, monkeys, baboons and apes.
- They have to contend with elephants, hippos, bushpigs, porcupines, vervet monkeys, baboons and birds which are after their crops.
- Another puzzling aspect of the spotted hyena's social structure is that it closely resembles that of the socially complex old-world monkeys, a group including baboons and macaques.
- They were thought to work as did their chemical counterparts excreted by monkeys, baboons and chimpanzees.
- A free-ranging vervet monkey, baboon, or macaque recognizes other members of his group as individuals.
- It's well known among primatologists that the number of males within a group of, say, baboons, chimpanzees, or lemurs is related to the number of females.
- Sometimes it's as interesting to study primate researchers as it is to study the apes, baboons, and monkeys.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.