In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(infant)bebé masculineniño masculineniña femininebebe masculine Peru River Platebeba feminine Peru River Plateguagua feminine AndesI'm going to have a baby — voy a tener un hijo / un niño
- I'm having a baby in May — espero un niño para mayo
- she's having the baby at home — va a tener el niño / a dar a luz en casa
- he cried like a baby — lloró como un niño
- don't be such a baby! — ¡no seas niño!
- The ultrasound probe is used mainly for head scanning of newborn babies and young children.
- This is to prevent staff and visitors from accidentally referring to boy babies as girls, and vice versa.
- They now believe even younger babies, even tinier tots can be encouraged to give life a go.
- The equipment and funds help save the lives of newborn babies and young children with congenital heart disease.
- This age range is the hardest to find carers for as most people choose to provide foster care for babies and young children.
- The quadruplets, two boys and two girl babies, are also Niloufer Hospital's first.
- Because of the children and the difficulties of taking a tiny baby and a young toddler together up and down the stairs, she did not get out much.
- You see babies and you see infants - tiny, tiny babies, some as young as a week old.
- Does smoking during pregnancy cause other problems in babies or young children?
- The theme of ‘the four ages of dental health’ will explore problems faced by babies, children, teenagers and the elderly.
- As they looked at their tiny newborn babies, these brave young survivors felt a powerful surge of protection.
- There were old and young people, little boys and girls, teenagers and babies in prams.
- Lydia didn't even want a baby; boy or girl, name or no name, what did it matter to her?
- Everywhere I go now I see young women, girls really, pushing babies around in prams and babycarts.
- And she opens up to showbiz tonight about being grandma to Gwyneth Paltrow's baby daughter.
- The father and mother held on to two babies while a young girl sat in front of them.
- I decided to make up names for the family; pretend they were mine, the girl and the babies were my younger siblings, and the man and woman were my mother and father.
- We breed, we make babies, the babies are either girls or boys.
- I suppose there may have been men, women, girls, boys, babies among them, but I saw no faces.
- You know how to tell a boy baby from a girl baby without having to look at their genitalia?
- Three capybaras have been born at the popular animal park and the babies are now delighting visitors as they lap up the autumn sunshine.
- A camel gives birth to her baby, or colt - but won't suckle it.
- And he accepted without censure that its impulse to slaughter the babies of other animals was entirely natural.
- She discovered the feral cat and its four babies after her bunny Starsky hopped up and down the garden to attract her attention.
- Very early on, with a new baby rabbit you should get it used to being handled.
- A home for Kentucky Derby winners should be sunshine, bluegrass and pretty mares waiting to make babies who can fly.
- Why do most animals have their babies in the spring?
- Nick pumps out mix compilations faster than bunny rabbits have babies.
- My rabbit just had babies with his ‘brother’ - they are so unbelievably adorable!
- The breeder must be prepared to take full responsibility for their animal babies for their entire life.
- Alice told me she enjoyed meeting Mrs Gow and asked questions like how many babies do goats have and what do they eat.
- It seems that she wants to keep him as her own toy, since her parents had previously promised her a lamb as a pet baby, and not given it to her.
- But the doting couple are blissfully unaware that their baby is actually a GOOSE.
- I asserted that rats were disinclined to move across broken glass under most conditions, but put broken glass between a rat and her babies and she would cross it without hesitation.
- Hoss had figured out that human babies grew inside of their mothers' tummies, just as animal babies did, but as yet it had not occurred to him to ask how they got in there in the first place.
- She said a box with a mother rabbit, her four babies and another adult female were found by her husband Mike when making final checks by the main gate at 2am yesterday.
- Penguin popularity shows its ‘fowl’ side as a baby penguin is plucked from a British zoo.
- The attraction's other Easter babies include wallabies, chicks, lambs, goats, guinea pigs, mara and raccoons.
1.3(youngest member)benjamín masculinebenjamina feminine
- From what Jim told him, Hannah Dawson is the baby of the family.
- He was only 12 and the baby of the family as our other children have all grown up and left home.
- Here, Washoe was no longer the baby of the family but was now living with chimpanzees a few years younger than herself.
- Despite this, he still towers over me, and I feel like the baby of the family as he walks over and gives me a quick, awkward hug.
- Nesbitt was the baby of the family growing up in Antrim.
- This is what I get for being related to someone that is overly obsessed with what her peers think and is the baby of the family.
- Anne Marie has six brothers and three sisters and is the baby of the family.
- She's telling me to acknowledge the sister and she's also bringing up the baby of the family.
- I'm the baby of my family too and I can sympathize on the younger cousin deal.
- Kevin hopes to have the baby of the family, the gallant John Joe, groomed for the next event.
- Still, for the baby of the family, most people prefer the cleanliness and purity of white.
- Thérèse had been the adored baby of her family, instructed every day by two elder sisters who proceeded her into the Carmelite convent in Lisieux.
- The Range Rover badge carries with it a lot of prestige and, while this is the baby of the family, it's still more desirable than anything from Japan.
- The baby of the family has a picture of Denis over his own bed at home.
- After years of being the baby of the family, I decided to meet my parents on neutral ground.
- She is, after all, the baby of the family and she needs me the most.
- He's from a family of five tennis players, Tracy Austin, the baby of the family.
- Two have already left home and the baby in our family is 13.
- His dad had remarried and Sykes was no longer the baby of the family: he now had a half-brother, John.
- Sharon was the baby of the family.
2.1feminine nena US informalfeminine chica US informalmasculine chico
- As for telling us to grow up and grow some hair, I'd love to, baby, I really would.
- She was such a bright, vivacious person, my angel, my star, my baby.
- I do love you baby.
1(infant)baby boy — nene masculine
- baby girl — niña
- my baby brother/sister — mi hermanito/hermanita
- a baby bear — un osito
- The shirt was a pink baby tee with a tiny pocket on the right side of my chest.
- The only disappointment is the baby potatoes that were obviously frozen.
- Looking for a used grand or baby grand piano?
- My son and I polished off the baby carrots and radishes before we even got home!
- And while I was there, I decided to pick up a few bags of pretzels and some of those baby carrots.
- The spring veggies were another hit: baby carrots, asparagus, French greens and corn in light soy sauce.
- Top and tail the green beans, peel the baby onions or cut the spring onion into 2.5cm pieces.
- The roasted baby onions added an extra sweet layer in an exceptionally moist duck for €22.95.
- The fish had a deliciously crispy skin, moist flesh and was served with baby onions and carrots.
- Sometimes with deals like this, you are punished with minute servings, but the bowl was full of juicy baby mushrooms.
- Good though it was, it was eclipsed by the fantastic tapering baby carrots on which it sat.
- Their food selection was fair and I eventually had a tuna steak with rice and baby carrots.
- The cheddar mash had no overtly cheesy taste but was rich and creamy and the dish was served with a thick onion gravy, dotted with baby onions.
- At this time of year garden centres have tray upon tray of baby vegetables all ready for planting out.
- If you love to munch on baby carrots as snacks, dip them in reduced-fat dressing, she suggests.
- Next day I simply emptied the bag into the prepared pot, stirred to brown and then added two big sliced onions and a few diced baby carrots.
- Not the display case where you can buy fake nose rings and baby tees and mini glowsticks to roll around on your tongue.
- Courgettes are actually baby marrows, just picked earlier from the plant.
- If you want to be veggie, go for the selection of baby vegetables with garlic flavoured tomato concentrate.
- Lunch could be salmon fillet with orange couscous and baby carrots.
- So fill in by serving baby carrots or sliced red or green peppers or cucumbers with light ranch dressing.
- In a pan of boiling water cook the baby potatoes for 10-12 mins until cooked through.
- We are the sole commercial outlet for the impressive GM6, which is a baby version of our popular GM2 gear motor.
- Any vegetable producer tan package baby carrots or cut-up celery in individual portions.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.