In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(infant)bebé masculineniño masculineniña femininebebe masculine Peru River Platebeba feminine Peru River Plateguagua feminine AndesI'm going to have a baby — voy a tener un hijo / un niño
- I'm having a baby in May — espero un niño para mayo
- she's having the baby at home — va a tener el niño / a dar a luz en casa
- he cried like a baby — lloró como un niño
- don't be such a baby! — ¡no seas niño!
- to leave sb holding the baby — cargarle el muerto a algn
- to throw the baby out with the bathwater — tirar las frutas frescas con las pochas
- The theme of ‘the four ages of dental health’ will explore problems faced by babies, children, teenagers and the elderly.
- This is to prevent staff and visitors from accidentally referring to boy babies as girls, and vice versa.
- Lydia didn't even want a baby; boy or girl, name or no name, what did it matter to her?
- I suppose there may have been men, women, girls, boys, babies among them, but I saw no faces.
- Everywhere I go now I see young women, girls really, pushing babies around in prams and babycarts.
- There were old and young people, little boys and girls, teenagers and babies in prams.
- You see babies and you see infants - tiny, tiny babies, some as young as a week old.
- They now believe even younger babies, even tinier tots can be encouraged to give life a go.
- The ultrasound probe is used mainly for head scanning of newborn babies and young children.
- We breed, we make babies, the babies are either girls or boys.
- The equipment and funds help save the lives of newborn babies and young children with congenital heart disease.
- As they looked at their tiny newborn babies, these brave young survivors felt a powerful surge of protection.
- I decided to make up names for the family; pretend they were mine, the girl and the babies were my younger siblings, and the man and woman were my mother and father.
- The father and mother held on to two babies while a young girl sat in front of them.
- You know how to tell a boy baby from a girl baby without having to look at their genitalia?
- And she opens up to showbiz tonight about being grandma to Gwyneth Paltrow's baby daughter.
- The quadruplets, two boys and two girl babies, are also Niloufer Hospital's first.
- Does smoking during pregnancy cause other problems in babies or young children?
- Because of the children and the difficulties of taking a tiny baby and a young toddler together up and down the stairs, she did not get out much.
- This age range is the hardest to find carers for as most people choose to provide foster care for babies and young children.
- She discovered the feral cat and its four babies after her bunny Starsky hopped up and down the garden to attract her attention.
- My rabbit just had babies with his ‘brother’ - they are so unbelievably adorable!
- But the doting couple are blissfully unaware that their baby is actually a GOOSE.
- I asserted that rats were disinclined to move across broken glass under most conditions, but put broken glass between a rat and her babies and she would cross it without hesitation.
- Why do most animals have their babies in the spring?
- Very early on, with a new baby rabbit you should get it used to being handled.
- Alice told me she enjoyed meeting Mrs Gow and asked questions like how many babies do goats have and what do they eat.
- Nick pumps out mix compilations faster than bunny rabbits have babies.
- A home for Kentucky Derby winners should be sunshine, bluegrass and pretty mares waiting to make babies who can fly.
- Three capybaras have been born at the popular animal park and the babies are now delighting visitors as they lap up the autumn sunshine.
- Hoss had figured out that human babies grew inside of their mothers' tummies, just as animal babies did, but as yet it had not occurred to him to ask how they got in there in the first place.
- It seems that she wants to keep him as her own toy, since her parents had previously promised her a lamb as a pet baby, and not given it to her.
- And he accepted without censure that its impulse to slaughter the babies of other animals was entirely natural.
- She said a box with a mother rabbit, her four babies and another adult female were found by her husband Mike when making final checks by the main gate at 2am yesterday.
- The breeder must be prepared to take full responsibility for their animal babies for their entire life.
- A camel gives birth to her baby, or colt - but won't suckle it.
- The attraction's other Easter babies include wallabies, chicks, lambs, goats, guinea pigs, mara and raccoons.
- Penguin popularity shows its ‘fowl’ side as a baby penguin is plucked from a British zoo.
1.3(youngest member)benjamín masculinebenjamina feminine
- Two have already left home and the baby in our family is 13.
- Despite this, he still towers over me, and I feel like the baby of the family as he walks over and gives me a quick, awkward hug.
- After years of being the baby of the family, I decided to meet my parents on neutral ground.
- Here, Washoe was no longer the baby of the family but was now living with chimpanzees a few years younger than herself.
- This is what I get for being related to someone that is overly obsessed with what her peers think and is the baby of the family.
- Thérèse had been the adored baby of her family, instructed every day by two elder sisters who proceeded her into the Carmelite convent in Lisieux.
- Still, for the baby of the family, most people prefer the cleanliness and purity of white.
- He's from a family of five tennis players, Tracy Austin, the baby of the family.
- From what Jim told him, Hannah Dawson is the baby of the family.
- She's telling me to acknowledge the sister and she's also bringing up the baby of the family.
- She is, after all, the baby of the family and she needs me the most.
- The Range Rover badge carries with it a lot of prestige and, while this is the baby of the family, it's still more desirable than anything from Japan.
- I'm the baby of my family too and I can sympathize on the younger cousin deal.
- Kevin hopes to have the baby of the family, the gallant John Joe, groomed for the next event.
- Nesbitt was the baby of the family growing up in Antrim.
- His dad had remarried and Sykes was no longer the baby of the family: he now had a half-brother, John.
- He was only 12 and the baby of the family as our other children have all grown up and left home.
- Sharon was the baby of the family.
- The baby of the family has a picture of Denis over his own bed at home.
- Anne Marie has six brothers and three sisters and is the baby of the family.
1.4(pet, concern)the campaign is her baby — la campaña es su proyecto / su criatura
- It's my baby so I don't really have any time for any other bands.
- That's not his everyday car, it's his baby.
- I believe it's your baby now but please do some more research.
- Granted, it's his baby, and he can do what he wants with it, but he introduced it as an action/adventure entertainment show.
- This is the only way you can purchase this baby at a discounted price.
- I personally would not do it, simply because my laptop is my baby.
2(girlfriend, boyfriend)nena feminine US informalchica feminine US informalfeminine nenamasculine cariñochico masculinemasculine cariño
1(infant)baby boy — nene masculine
- baby girl — nena
- my baby brother/sister — mi hermanito/hermanita
- a baby bear — un osito
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.