In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1telón de fondo masculine
- In these circumstances scenery was possible, though usually restricted to a backcloth and drapes, but there was no acting.
- A fabrication woven from fear, anxiety, fantasy and myth formed the backcloth for the initial encounter between Europeans and Africans.
- The difference of expert opinion nonetheless forms an important backcloth to the submissions made on the claimant's behalf.
- The lighting was also poor, spoiling the effect of the marvellous backcloth which for some reason looked as if it was on Mars, bathed in a light that threw out uniform reddish tones.
- Instrumental music is important for creating or enhancing the atmosphere where words are silent, or as a backcloth for speech that is often melancholy and reflective.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.