In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The contractor digs a small hole down about 18 ft., places a 12-in.-diameter slotted pipe in the hole, and backfills it with 0.75-in. washed rock.
- Finally we backfilled the hole and went to the house to clean up.
- Mine plans called for the hole to be backfilled - they were going to fill it with waste rock mixed with cement, making the vein just as accessible as it had been.
- If soil excavation is used for remediation, a pond or topographic feature that will become an eye-pleasing part of the course can be created instead of backfilling the excavation.
- Atkinson backfilled his tunnel with excavation spoil bulked by imported material.
- The excavated ground is used for backfilling a low area at the end of the runway for the purpose of lengthening it.
- The time is rapidly approaching when we will be ready to line the hole with polythene before backfilling and tidying the area prior to planting.
- Walls are usually braced a few days after forms have been stripped and before backfilling operations begin.
- His bucket-equipped compact track loader makes money backfilling basements, cutting out driveways and sidewalks, and performing final landscape grading.
- She backfilled the planting hole with soil and replanted her clump of irises, which bloomed beautifully the following season.
- To prevent movement of the box, the space between it and the wall of the excavation should be backfilled.
- Two 42-inch diameter pipes were installed in shaft No. 1 and the shaft was backfilled around the pipes with concrete.
- If a retaining wall is designed as a gravity wall, it can be backfilled relatively early.
- Once the excavation is complete, the trackway will be backfilled with earth again, as this is the best way to preserve the timbers.
- The steps were first excavated by local farmers in 1946, but were quickly backfilled for fear that sheep would fall down the hole.
- The excavated soil should be mixed with well-rotted organic matter or a tree-planting compost before backfilling the hole.
- They are building the box drains higher than the lots, and they are not backfilling the area.
- Cracks can also result from backfilling foundations before they have sufficient strength to resist the forces generated by the backfill.
- There is a possibility that the holes were backfilled.
- This multipurpose tool can be used for more than backfilling a trench or grading a job site.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.