In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The excavated soil should be mixed with well-rotted organic matter or a tree-planting compost before backfilling the hole.
- Finally we backfilled the hole and went to the house to clean up.
- There is a possibility that the holes were backfilled.
- The excavated ground is used for backfilling a low area at the end of the runway for the purpose of lengthening it.
- Two 42-inch diameter pipes were installed in shaft No. 1 and the shaft was backfilled around the pipes with concrete.
- Atkinson backfilled his tunnel with excavation spoil bulked by imported material.
- They are building the box drains higher than the lots, and they are not backfilling the area.
- His bucket-equipped compact track loader makes money backfilling basements, cutting out driveways and sidewalks, and performing final landscape grading.
- Mine plans called for the hole to be backfilled - they were going to fill it with waste rock mixed with cement, making the vein just as accessible as it had been.
- Cracks can also result from backfilling foundations before they have sufficient strength to resist the forces generated by the backfill.
- She backfilled the planting hole with soil and replanted her clump of irises, which bloomed beautifully the following season.
- The contractor digs a small hole down about 18 ft., places a 12-in.-diameter slotted pipe in the hole, and backfills it with 0.75-in. washed rock.
- The steps were first excavated by local farmers in 1946, but were quickly backfilled for fear that sheep would fall down the hole.
- This multipurpose tool can be used for more than backfilling a trench or grading a job site.
- If a retaining wall is designed as a gravity wall, it can be backfilled relatively early.
- Once the excavation is complete, the trackway will be backfilled with earth again, as this is the best way to preserve the timbers.
- The time is rapidly approaching when we will be ready to line the hole with polythene before backfilling and tidying the area prior to planting.
- Walls are usually braced a few days after forms have been stripped and before backfilling operations begin.
- To prevent movement of the box, the space between it and the wall of the excavation should be backfilled.
- If soil excavation is used for remediation, a pond or topographic feature that will become an eye-pleasing part of the course can be created instead of backfilling the excavation.
- It also requires adequate, trash-free backfill and sufficient soil moisture for compaction, as well as site conditions enabling a trencher to maneuver.
- One of his first jobs was to ensure that the original backfill material from tank 3 was removed.
- The porcelain will be recycled as part of the district's soil recycling operation which produces granular material for trench backfill and road base.
- Two versions of this compaction tool are available: a smooth drum for sand, gravel, pea rock, and asphalt patching and a padded drum for heavy soils, clay, and clay-based backfill.
- The crusher broke the concrete into pieces of a size that could be put back into the ground as backfill for the new construction.
- A 6-inch-thick sidewalk was then poured atop this backfill, overlapping the floor edges by 6 inches.
- The use of tire shreds as backfill has benefits ranging from the inherent lightweight of the material to increase in permeability.
- It also implies, but does not explicitly require, important installation details, such as complete backfilling of the trench and thorough compaction of backfill.
- Before that, fluorite encountered in mining was considered waste and used as backfill or dumped.
- In the near field above the container the borehole will be very effectively sealed by melting, recrystallization and metamorphism of the host rock backfill.
- This preliminary surcharge is equivalent to an average of 8.0 m (an increase of 2.0 m over the design stage) of backfill east of the quay wall.
- Cover the piping with resin paper or strips of 90-pound roofing felt on top of the sand backfill.
- The backfill is of the same sediment as around the gallery and the proboscis cut is straight.
- One approach is to place loose backfill under structurally supported slabs.
- That's enough to locate buried foundations, pipes, and cables and determine the thickness and location of backfill.
- Reinforced soil slopes also embed geotextiles between backfill layers but are characterized by having slopes of less than 70.
- In that case, plan on waiting seven days before placing the full depth of backfill.
- Thus, under winter conditions, a culvert must be stabilized on both ends using rocks or other techniques and must be covered with appropriate backfill to provide adequate bearing capacity.
- Compaction of backfill materials is normally carried out by mechanical means, to achieve a specified percentage of compactivity.
- They reopened the mine, hoping to find fluorite that had been left behind - either in place or as backfill by previous lead-mining operations.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.