In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- ‘I loathe crosswords with a passion, and don't play chess or backgammon,’ says Paul.
- Chess especially was highly favoured and backgammon was second in popularity.
- For instance, the rules of backgammon state what to do with cocked dice, premature plays and set-up errors.
- ‘Well, the evening began at the gentleman's club, where we were discussing Wittgenstein over a game of backgammon.’
- They smoke water-pipes, talk, and sometimes play a favorite board game - a Turkish form of backgammon.
- They often sit at tea houses and cafes and play backgammon or dominoes.
- The aim of the game, as in modern backgammon, is to move all your pieces to your ‘home ground’ and then off the board before your opponent can do so with theirs.
- Also included are checkers and backgammon boards and pieces.
- Compare backgammon, where first moves for each possible opening dice roll are well-analysed, but there is virtually no opening theory after that.
- I'm still playing backgammon for money; I'm still writing and, more alarmingly, I've rediscovered boardgames.
- The dozen or so high-profile inmates are allowed to exercise together and play chess, poker, backgammon and dominoes.
- Sculptors and carvers fashion teakwood goblets, cigar and jewelry boxes, and board games such as dominoes and backgammon.
- Early research shows that mobile online gaming with real opponents has proven popular in trials, particularly among chess and backgammon players.
- Even games of strategy may mix in elements of luck, as in backgammon, to keep the results unpredictable and sharpen players' adaptive abilities.
- The whole family took part in draughts, backgammon, and cards (which had been produced in Europe from medieval times).
- Something smashed through the room, sending backgammon pieces through the air.
- In most town squares, you will see backgammon boards.
- He picked up an elaborately patterned backgammon board in Damascus and a Rajasthani oil light that would originally have been used for hunting.
- If it rained, we sat around playing backgammon and Trivial Pursuit and trying to kill time.
- If you like games that combine a lot of skill with a lot of chance, go to the toy store and pick yourself up a backgammon board.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.