In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(support)respaldo masculineapoyo masculine
- All they needed was public support and financial backing.
- Her campaigning has gathered much support, including backing from farming families.
- This includes moral support, as well as, financial and administrative backing.
- She said she was not hugely disadvantaged by not having the financial backing of a large party.
- We believe with the enormous amount of backing and support generated so far, the initiative cannot fail.
- Your support and backing was a great boost to everyone involved.
- The idea crystallised after she met her future web designer at a party and found financial backing.
- Supporters have received financial backing and spin doctors' advice from America.
- No one can be elected president under the existing political structure without the financial backing - and political approval - of this ruling elite.
- Reports suggest that the rebel forces have received popular support and financial backing in the northern region.
- They have a stadium full of passionate, vociferous supporters whose legendary backing often reduced opposition players from star performers to schoolboy trialists.
- With no real capital to speak of, the bookshop launched itself as a publisher primarily with the financial backing of a local pearl merchant.
- We already have significant financial backing in place, but need further support from the people and businesses of York.
- He is seeking financial backing to help re-launch the theatre in his hometown.
- However, she managed to find financial backing with the overwhelming support of friends.
- The plan received backing from the Foreign Office minister, who said there is already an Executive presence in the Paris embassy and he hopes the practice can spread.
- I would say because he will enjoy support and backing from the US he might get some assistance and he will have an easy time working with Washington.
- Their financial backing, supported by the Irish Sports Council, makes it one of the most exciting races in Europe.
- Spear is now appealing for financial backing from local businesses.
- The proposals are likely to win the support of Parliament because of the expected backing by right-wing parties.
- I went round there last night, ostensibly to add some backing vocals to his very sloppy band - the tunes are amazing though.
- All tracks are recorded with a full orchestra and backing singers.
- The musical backing is similarly bare of affectation and broken down to a number of small elements, pushed to the limits of their effectiveness.
- His slicing guitars and sometimes terrifying backing vocals gave a depth that just can't be captured without him.
- Her band of musicians also keep things rolling with a pleasant pop-soul vocal backing and occasionally fresh drum patterns.
- Not surprisingly, the music is simply beautiful, filled with emotion-packed vocals, lush backing harmonies, and rich sonic textures.
- With an organ providing a solid backing for the song, trombones and melodicas weave interlacing melodies.
- It certainly doesn't need the distraction of echoing backing vocals and the saccharine strings that it has to fight against throughout.
- As always, a well-known band will provide musical backing for the group.
- On this album he experiments with honky tonk rhythms, string arrangements, and sassy backing vocals.
- They know that those backing vocals are irresistible.
- Musical backing is kept low key with touches of strings, brass and brooding electronica, never overshadowing Jane's fragile but emotive vocals.
- Never falling far from his firmly planted roots - his wife, daughter, father and four siblings provide the music and backing vocals on the record.
- However, the raw emotion in the vocals and the simplistic backing draws your attention and forces you to give the lyrics a chance to shine.
- It is the sound that helped bring in the track, and provided the rhythmic backing for most of the proceedings.
- The scary thing about these vocal tracks is how negligibly different their musical backing is from the infinitely more enjoyable instrumentals.
- The clever use of backing vocals, for example, magnifies the humour value of the main lyric as well as comprising a catchy tune.
- It doesn't help that the musical backing is a five-minute drone of grating computerized noise.
- The musical backing, though, is what elevates the song to a higher plane.
- He tends to bathe his voice with wispy background vocals, an effect that, when matched with his instrumental backing, gives his songs a slightly ethereal feel.
- Hanging from the beams are 'tangkas', paintings on canvas with a backing of silk cloth, which communicate to the lamas the divine teachings.
- The flexibility and adhesive backing of the sheets allow them to be applied to a large variety of targets.
- Because of its clear plastic backing, workers can easily see areas that are dry, and wet those areas by moving water under the blanket.
- The lowest cost resilient floor option is composition tile, which consists of a vinyl surface with separate backing.
- This is important, because you will save this piece and replace it once the wood backing is installed.
- Jute backing is very similar to a potato sack, so you can guess how that would hold up to moisture.
- An adhesive pressure-sensitive backing holds the grips in place.
- The product is presented in a glass mounted frame with an appropriate felt backing of your choice.
- The backing or outer layer, the part furthest from the skin, is made of polyester film.
- For those wishing to maintain a clutter-free interior, you can install walls or ceilings with a backing of acoustically absorbent material similar to that used in concert halls.
- A properly tensioned bar tape doesn't need adhesive backing, which just gums up the handlebar when you finally replace it.
- Do not push the tablet through the foil backing of the package.
- In addition to the mousepad itself, they also give you two strips of Teflon with adhesive backing known as Padsurfers.
- Having become expert on depositing metal solutions onto plastic backing, he invented recording tape.
- The shade and backing material must be perfectly square so the shade will hang evenly.
- Velvet's silk backing is very delicate; don't overheat it or leave the Fiber-Etch ® on longer than necessary.
- The rug backing is a strong material and craft knives must be used to make a clean cut.
- I don't even use fluffy bathroom mats because the rubber backing is hard to keep clean.
- The glues are used to bond carpet to its backing.
- Once the card and backing are assembled, the foil is visible through spaces left by the cutwork of each design from the inside of the card.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.