In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- An absolute stunner: the backless gown in silver is held in place by tiny, invisible straps.
- There was glorious sunshine for the photographs and Nikki looked stunning in her white backless dress.
- The design of the backless dress adds an extra sexy element.
- And why would any director put someone who is only skin and bones in a backless dress?
- The backless dress was studded with hundreds of crystals and the dressmakers actually moulded the bodice around Mary's body first so it fitted her to perfection.
- I got showed and threw on a pair of silver bell bottoms and a red and black backless shirt.
- I assure you that when you do look especially good (like when you wear a backless dress and do that thing with your hair), you will hear about it.
- It was winter and everyone else was wearing normal clothes, but she had on a red backless halterneck dress, a tan corduroy cloth cap, and big silver hoop earrings.
- The bride wore a white satin backless gown scattered with crystals, and carried a bouquet of white roses.
- None of her shirts were backless or extremely low cut.
- She was clad in a long, backless dress, and her hair was up, but a few strands were loose to frame her face.
- Zach knew she must be cold since her dress was backless and sleeveless.
- Today, she is wearing a layered, backless dress constructed of unmatching cloth panels and vertiginous gold Mary-Janes.
- Her outfit - a thigh-length, tasselled, backless dress - drew gasps from the audience.
- Tackle the chill factor when wearing your favorite backless or strapless pieces by wrapping up in cashmere, velvet or wool shawls.
- The backless gown was flattering; she was not a very voluptuous woman, but she was certainly not shapeless either.
- I can't see her face, but she's wearing a backless dress, and her back is smooth and angular.
- She grabbed her brush, and sang along, as she dug through her closet for her deep purple backless gown.
- She was thankful, at least, that the hospital let her wear her own pajamas rather than one of their backless gowns.
- As she slid into the black backless gown, she felt Stefan's gaze watching her every movement.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.