In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tecla de retroceso feminine
- I tapped on the keyboard, pressing the backspace key much more frequent than the other keys.
- There is no backspace key in real life, but I am always reaching for one - I get half way through a sentence and then realise that it should have started somewhere else if it is to go where I suddenly realise it wants to.
- Right, can you select it, then press backspace?
- There is a ‘home’ and a ‘backspace’ key but no ‘cancel’, the cancel function being tackled by the backspace key when appropriate.
- Yesterday evening Abi lost a bunch of stuff she'd been typing in because she pressed the backspace key when the focus was outside of the editing text box.
- Elsewhere, competitors learned they if they answered incorrectly they could press backspace and re-answer questions without any scoring penalty.
- The backspace and the delete keys don't work on my computer right now because my sister spilled honey all over it.
- Alright, Sir, do you know where the backspace key is?
- Trouble is, now a couple of my keys are not working so well - probably just misaligned, but my backspace, and my enter and delete and arrow keys don't want to work.
- I don't really know if it was worth sharing, and I'm actually sort of regretting it right now, but my backspace key is broken, so whatever I type is staying in the article.
- I accidentally hit the tiny delete key instead of backspace.
- The ‘Home’ and ‘End’ keys are placed right above the backspace key instead of the usual position above the arrow keys.
- Other times, I swear the hit the backspace key in a ratio of 2: 1.
- I couldn't keep track of how often I pressed my backspace key or how often I deleted entire sentences and paragraphs because I knew whatever I wanted to say - it just had to be right.
- As you can see, the keyboard adopts the older ‘small enter key’ layout, in which the backslash is positioned below backspace and above the enter key instead of being flanked by the equal key and backspace.
- All of this wasted space could be put to much better use: dedicated home, end, page up, page down keys; a bigger spacebar and shift, return, and backspace keys.
- I've been digging through pictures cursing myself for not documenting my work better, typing the details from my notes then suddenly, I broke the backspace key on my computer.
1retroceder un espacio
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.