In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(abortion) clandestino(abortion) ilegalthe backstreets — los barrios pobres
- a kid from the backstreets — un chico de origen humilde
- Unemployment at 70% is exacerbating poverty, prostitution, backstreet abortion and honour killing.
- If abortion was illegal, many women would be forced to have abortions from unqualified physicians in backstreet clinics, risking their own health.
- When people in the North repeatedly turn out to vote for sectarian demagoguery and backstreet thuggery above all available normal democratic alternatives, then they have not delivered a verdict which needs to be respected.
- Some twenty backstreet factories also processed large quantities of opium, which was then one of British Columbia's largest industries.
- Women in Ireland don't have to resort to backstreet abortions because they can get on a plane and fly to England.
- This has led to an increase in backstreet circumcisions.
- She would scrap it and have us return to the old days of backstreet abortions and unwanted pregnancies for young girls.
- You may even need to see that old bogeyman who should be long gone in Shanghai - the backstreet money changer.
- They were extraordinary, skating without helmets or knee pads, invading empty swimming pools like backstreet bandits, brave and single-minded and uniquely talented.
- Some of the desperate women who opted for backstreet abortions often had to have their uteruses surgically removed because of resulting massive infection.
- And some women died from backstreet abortions.
- People are forced to go to backstreet butchers if they are not being provided with the services they need.
- Lust was the thing that caused men to risk their jobs and families for a tawdry backstreet encounter, it's the thing that costs politicians their careers.
- The basic game will see you set up your own backstreet clinic, and people will come to you with their ailments, hoping that you will perform a set of miracles.
- A fighting fund of more than £100,000 has been spent to buy back spare tickets and keep them from the backstreet hustlers, whom many blame for pricing ordinary spectators out of leading sports venues.
- Risky - and often fatal - backstreet abortions continue to be the only alternative for some.
- But having said that, it's also implicit in the film that backstreet abortionists cannot be a good thing.
- However the use of illegal backstreet operations to remove the tumours is being slammed by the local authorities.
- Not that the landed gentry would be caught dead with a Bristol glass full of backstreet gin on their persons.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.