In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Necro-heckling - while its recent prominence is noteworthy - may be explained away by reference to political bitterness, sanctimonious grandstanding, ill-disguised prejudice or just plain old bah humbug Scroogery.
- This is by no means in the danger zone, but performance freaks may say bah!
- Jam showed up this morning but still no sign of My Wrongs… bah!
- It gets on my nerves, especially since I get it when trying to view some stories and profiles too. bah!
- In other words, bah, humbug, I'm the 37,000th person to give this poorly-made bilge free publicity!
- There were poets who lurched words across the page ornate words that had women bound, bah! bah! said Ezra Pound, ‘I have sung women in three cities, But it is all the same; and I will sung of the sun’.
- We're offered more soggy sandwiches (no ‘delay’ alcohol, bah!) but no boarding announcement.
- So to the critics who through your columns have scoffed at almost every proposed scheme to improve the city - especially the author of the letter who asked the last person leaving Bradford to turn off the lights - I say bah, humbug!
- Ate food… the least I have ever eaten at family get-to-gethers… bah… and still was told off by parents.
- I recovered well and managed to land in a kind of lop-sided on-one-bended-knee stance, but it's still a wipeout in my book. bah.
- For some reason that's the only recent example I can come up with. bah.
- Glad tidings of comfort and joy or a severe case of bah, humbug?
- So, of course, every weekend since, I've been bombarded with alerts from friends telling me of their complex plans for the night and I've had to reply: still at work, not sure when we'll finish, bah.
- Or are we happy to stay at home, lock the doors and wait for it all to pass - bah, humbug!
- You know, you weren't so bad back when I helped you get your rune blade - I can't believe I saved your life, bah, and this is how you repay me?
- Saturday morning came, and we were all up early, and so decided to pop home to Sarah's to wash (my, aren't we spoilt), but the traffic getting back was horrendous, so we missed the Von Bondies and Mercury Rev. bah.
- As for the hackneyed old argument that this is about oil, bah!
- Your sister found her powers to be obsolete around me as well… Spirit of the oceans… bah!
- And, carrying on the true tradition of the people who deliver the mail, we'll be back here tomorrow night unless there's a little rain in New York and then, bah, I won't be here.
- I shall retake back my credit card, pay it off, remove my Mum from access to it, stop payments to AOL for the folks account (on which I am restricted to Teen content, bah!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.