In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Cookingshe bakes her own bread — hace el pan en casa
- bake in a hot oven — hornear en horno caliente
- do you fry it or bake it? — ¿lo fríes o lo haces al horno?
- baked potato — patata asada / al horno
- baked custard — tipo de flan
- baked Alaska — Alaska al horno — postre de helado y merengue
- She had put up a table for the presents, put balloons and streamers everywhere and helped the cook bake her own cake.
- Together we discovered a sack of flour, mixed it with water, started the ovens and baked flat breads.
- Some examples of healthy comfort food include baked sweet potatoes, minestrone soup or sauteed vegetables over rice.
- A conventional gas or electric oven bakes bread with a lot of hot air, or convection.
- The pizzas were freshly baked in a brick oven and tasted absolutely fantastic.
- I guess we should just go up to her while our cake is baking and tell her just how we feel.
- The bread is baked in a wood-fired oven, which takes two weeks to reach temperature.
- Cookies will bake more evenly if they spend equal time on the top and bottom racks of the oven.
- The kitchen faces part of the restaurant and I was encouraged to see that they had installed a wood-fired oven for baking pizzas.
- She loves us a lot and cooks lovely dinners and bakes nice buns and tarts.
- Originally, the biscuits were baked in large industrial ovens, but the recipe has been altered so that one can bake them in a domestic oven.
- Once the cookies were baking, we took a break, and walked into the living room.
- While pie is baking, mix the topping ingredients, first the butter and brown sugar until crumbly, then blending in the nuts.
- While the squash is baking, place 1/4 cup of olive oil into your soup pot that has been placed over medium heat.
- It was, of course, understood that the factory was being built as a bakery making specialist breads and that these breads would be baked in ovens.
- She entered the kitchen to the enticing smell of beef stew, newly baked bread, and apple pie.
- We cook, bake bread, make cheese, sew, make soap and candles, and milk goats.
- Lorna served a thick meat-filled stew, with fresh baked bread and warm apple pie for dessert.
- To distract myself from the wait for Elle to deliver, I had cooked them the same fruited breads and baked sausages that I served the soldiers.
- Hop Sing served roast beef, new potatoes in gravy, fresh baked bread, and apples in a glazed cinnamon sauce.
- Line the tart with foil, fill with baking beans and cook for 10 min.
- My mother cooked everything and baked our cakes.
- This version is particularly easy to make, because the fish is placed raw in a baking dish and covered with the boiling sauce, before being baked in the oven for a few minutes.
- This can be made ahead, then reheated while the biscuits or corn bread are baking.
- To help keep larger cuts of meat from drying out while broiling, grilling or baking, sear them first.
- I'm also pretty good at English puddings: I like cooking baked apples, crème brûlée and rice pudding.
- Stuffing it into her mouth, she grunted and let the cook get on with baking the bread.
- It may not look special, but it is special: the sauce is fresh, the cheese is real, the crust is baked in a wood-burning oven.
- While cake is baking, make the icing by mixing together cream cheese, creme fraiche, butter, vanilla, sugar and walnuts.
- After the bread was baked, ovens could have been utilised for a range of dishes that needed long, slow cooking.
- The advantage lies in the fact that microwave oven bakes the moist ingredients about three times faster.
- While baking the cake we cooked the fish and chips and ate the food as it was gradually cooked while talking about terrible plane incidents on QANTAS airlines.
- When the cake has baked, take it out and invert onto a sugared baking sheet.
- But it wasn't until my mother baked Apple Pye that the king deigned to visit.
- Fan-assisted ovens and baking bread simply don't go together.
- All the pizzas are freshly baked in the downstairs oven which can be seen by diners and passers-by alike.
- Soda bread or cakes were baked in the pot oven over the dying embers of the fire and covered with a few sods of burning turf.
- While the pie was baking, she removed some vegetables and meat from the icebox to prepare for dinner.
- While apples are baking, place remaining sugar and spices into the sauce pan, ensuring it's well mixed.
- The old ovens are wood-fired and bake beautiful bread.
- Out on the sidewalk patio, Mantra's inviting overstuffed wing chairs baked in the heat.
- The ground baked hard that summer and we felt no compassion for anyone but ourselves.
- Summer had faded into fall, but even as September wore on Paris still baked under a strange late heat wave that showed no sign of letting up.
- We had been in the Gulf for several months, baking in the summer heat.
- The earth bakes under the late summer sun, battered by the sudden violence of summer storms.
- Floods in some streets created impromptu swimming pools for many Iraqis baking in the relentless heat.
- And unusual weather takes the fun out of summer, as many people bake in the worst heat wave in years.
- If it was where our Sun is, we would be baking in heat 700 times hotter than we suffer today.
- The BSE crisis came on top of a poor crop production year in 2003 as most of western Canada baked under a summer-long heat wave.
- I saw other storks in Cordoba, Spain, baking in the 116 degree heat on the top of a statue.
- It will be remembered as the summer that Britain baked - but according to a new study, the heatwave of 2003 was no act of God.
- The hot weather is baking the already miserable townspeople, and the summer that used to be for sunbathing and holidays is now given to the plague.
- I asked for urgent remedial action to be taken before the weather warmed up and the ruts got baked solid.
- We sat in bunkers, baking in the heat, hoping the next one didn't carry the bug.
- He recalled that day vividly, the warmth on his cheek, the smell of the fish he had caught, baking in heat, as they lay on the floor of his boat.
- Each cell receives a slow trickle of swamp cooled air which does little to alleviate our suffering in the summer months when we feel like we are being baked alive.
- He didn't know why she insisted on baking in the summer, anyway.
- He recalled putting his gas mask on 14 times the previous day, which meant spending about six or seven hours baking in 35C heat in a mask.
- Why is it that when the first peek of sun appears, people scramble wildly to de-robe themselves and bake their white flesh to a nice shade of ruby?
- Yorkshire's tourist attractions experienced mixed fortunes last year as the country baked in the scorching summer weather.
2(in sun)(brick) cocer al solthe mud has been baked hard by the sun — el sol ha endurecido el barro
1Cookingmy mother used to bake on Fridays — mi madre hacía pasteles (/ pan etc. ) los viernes
2(in sun)(brick) cocerse al sol
3informal(in the heat)morirse de calor informalasarse informal
reunión donde se consume comida hecha al horno
plato hecho al horno
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.