In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Also, items made of the wartime plastic-like Bakelite material had passed the underwater test of time in very good condition.
- The first synthetic polymer produced by a condensation reaction was Bakelite.
- He is, after all, talking into a heavy, black, old, Bakelite telephone handset, with a thick coiled cord leading into his pocket.
- For example, the major raw material of Bakelite is coal tar, which was a waste product from the making of coke from coal.
- The first synthetic polymer, called Bakelite (a polymer made from phenol and formaldehyde) was invented by Leo Baekeland in 1907.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.