In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(man) calvo(man) pelón(man) pelado Southern Cone(animal) pelado(animal) sin pelohe's bald — es calvo (or pelón etc.)
- to go bald — quedarse calvo (or pelón etc.)
- he's gone bald — está / se ha quedado calvo (or pelón etc.)
- his bald head shone in the sunlight — la calva le brillaba al sol
- Dark hair sprung from his once bald scalp and the wrinkles on his face smoothed out.
- He stares out at us from photographs and self-portraits, bald, bearded and utterly lacking in flamboyance.
- ‘Please, sit down you two,’ the gray hair, nearly bald doctor beckoned us to the seats.
- Sometimes birds will get feather mites and all their feathers will get eaten away by the mites and the birds are bald until they grow in new ones.
- A person becomes bald if the scalp follicles die and no longer produce new hair.
- This form is most common in children and involves red, itchy patches on the scalp, often leaving bald patches.
- She looks like a disgruntled old man, her ears red, her scalp bald and splotchy.
- It was like some sort of ghastly empowerment group, of thousands, except it was being chaired by a bald ape who ran hither and yon.
- Those stem cells could be grown up and used to get hair growing again on bald scalps.
- Unkempt braids of jet-black hair ran down either side of his head, the better part of which had been shaven bald.
- The bald cat padded its way across the cobblestoned path, and up to the castle gates.
- Obesity may be seen as bald patches in certain areas where the feather tracts have separated because of large deposits of fat under the skin.
- In addition to a bald spot, the scalp usually has an abnormal appearance.
- Stretch was a bald chicken that Moose had plucked all the feathers off.
- A small, just-noticeable tingle started on the top of his bald scalp.
- They noted that the mutant mice groomed themselves excessively-to the extent of creating bald spots and skin wounds.
- Some monkeys had bald patches caused by over-grooming, a compulsive behaviour caused by stress.
- Magnor Tanek was old, with fluffy white hair and a bald spot.
- The man is completely bald, lacking even eyebrows.
- In the north we then saw full-up jumping goats, brick buck, bald buck, camel horses and also more cats.
- Ted sighed and ran a hand over his head again, rubbing his bald scalp.
- Martino's head was starting to go bald and he had a round belly.
- She opened the cabinet and found the bald chicken!
- Her head was not completely smooth like a bald human, but had three ridges, one in the middle and one on each side of that.
- I really care about my hair, I do my best in order not to go bald.
- This bird has a bald, red face that only a mother could love, but it boasts an incredible nine-foot wingspan and a majesty in flight that rivals any raptor.
- A pampered pet Shih Tzu dog was left bald after a Hong Kong salon accidentally shaved him when he was taken in for a grooming, a news report said yesterday.
- That penchant for dressing bald rats in sequins and leather is a different story altogether.
- The small bald creature leapt gracefully onto the table and outstretched its whip-like tail and its long paper-thin ears.
- It was the bald guy, his scalp shining under the café's lights.
- Atman gave the bald creature a studying gaze, and connected another blow, directly on its chin.
- I noticed that some of the ducks have a bald patch at the back of their heads and that other ducks often attack them here with their beaks.
- A cat with little bald patches is unattractive. And I do so like my cat to be cute.
- There is excitement in the birding world after a bald parrot was reported in the remote Brazilian Mato Grosso region.
- The man, with slightly gray hair, bald on the top of the head, and steely gray eyes, was wearing an expensive suit.
- You don't have to go bald, but expect your wallet to get slimmer instead.
- Raja was just 3-weeks-old, bald with no feathers, when he brought him home.
- She pointed to a grim looking giant bald monkey tied to a stall with a bright red glowing collar around its neck.
- A bald chimp links a girl standing on a trolley with a baby perched on a miniature wagon.
- Gadi had all his hair cut off, his head shaven bald.
1.2(worn)(carpet/lawn) pelado(lawn/carpet) con calvas(tire) gastado(tire) liso
- Some buses examined by inspectors in the last year have been found to have defective steering, faulty brakes or even bald tyres.
- The car's tyres were bald; a fork was in the ignition; there were beer bottles all over the car and the road; and all three were aged about 18.
- Work is being done on the pathways round the lakes in order to keep anglers to the paths and hopefully seed the bald areas.
- O'Toole quipped the policy was like a car with four bald tyres and, when you opened the boot, the spare was flat.
- He said one wheel was loose, two tires were bald, and only one of the truck's six air brakes was working properly.
- At the source, a spring tumbled out of the bald hillside into a willow-shaded pool the size of a large table.
- The officers found nothing wrong until they found one of the tyres was a space-saver and was bald.
- As this correspondent observed last week, the forests have re-grown and the erstwhile bald hills are now covered in luxurious foliage and flora.
- Its bald expanse colonized by a single stubby tree, the narrow courtyard has the bleak and slightly disturbing aura of a de Chirico painting.
- What do you think if you did the same thing, resulting in chronic underfunding of your tyre budget, driving around with bald tyres?
- Police in North Yorkshire yesterday launched a major clampdown on motorist who drive on worn and bald tyres in an attempt to save lives.
- Fork over bald areas, add some compost and then sow seed or patch with a piece of turf and water in well.
- Where seedlings had lined out the field only two days before there were bald seed beds splashed with puddles of goose droppings.
- Atkinson's car was found to have three bald tyres - on one of them the steel cord was showing - and the front brakes on one side were seized up.
- Public transport running on bald tyres on bad roads and with bad brakes is ‘an accident’ waiting to happen.
- She looks upon an open space of withered grass and tired, bald turf.
- Some 24 vehicles were found to have bald tyres while 12 had defective lights.
- Then, we went by K-mart and bought a few plants for the bald part of the backyard.
- You could even report your neighbour's bald tyres, unlicensed bulls or smoking in the house - which is a workplace when they have the cleaner or the gas-man in.
- Take a look at your lawn and write about the patchy areas of crabgrass and bald spots found.
- He glared at me and started writing another ticket for having bald tires!
- Outside my door was a green leafed bush, which apparently had not gone bald in the wintertime.
- It was an accident that could have happened anywhere and he did not believe that any bald tyres recovered from the crash scene could have come from the bus.
- As readers will discover, this rare plant species of federal concern grows in bald cypress-tupelo gum swamp forests in the coastal plain.
- They launched into a discussion about my personal life while I sat and picked the ground bald of grass.
- You can drive a pile of rust here, with bald tires, garbage bags for windows and no lights, and no one will say ‘Boo’ about it.
- Two more involved low-income, illegal car/van pools running both at high speeds and on completely bald tires!
- They headed for Prague, but got stopped on the Czech border because the tyres on their vans were bald.
- The beautiful hills that used to be covered with bushes and trees are now bald.
- Tires have built-in wear indicators that appear as a bald strip when there is 1.6 millimeters of tread remaining.
- When performing this act of charity he notices that one of the other tyres is partially bald, and therefore illegal.
- The first thing we noticed were the tyres, which were almost bald.
- When the rubber on the blocks wears out, they need to be replaced, just like bald tires.
2(plain)he made a bald statement of fact — no hizo más que constatar un hecho
- he told me the bald truth — me dijo la verdad pura y simple
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.