In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(animal/person) rebelde(animal/person) díscolo(person/animal) chúcaro Latin America(engine/car) malo
- In one widely reported case, an American pilot went so far as to throw a balky steward off the plane.
- The biggest obstacle that could keep Hernandez from finishing strong is a balky knee.
- Even the dean hollered ‘Rana’ when his machine was balky.
- The Koidu base is complaining of congested data-network links, a balky router and malfunctioning wireless-network nodes.
- On the other hand, if your windows have other problems - balky hardware, flimsy construction, or whatever - window replacement may be the right move.
- Phillips performed some on-the-spot maintenance of a balky treadmill today.
- It had been left intact as a backup to the balky original warp field.
- In the grainy surveillance camera footage, the dumpy, mustachioed fellow looks like just one more office peon saddled with a balky computer - until he takes his revenge.
- Deprived of the Internet by a balky cell phone modem, the habit of daily blogging has proven hard to break.
- Original consumer models were bulky and balky, user-friendly only if the user was a technogeek.
- Team scouts think a balky right thumb will force Warner to retire.
- Guerciotti's cyclo-cross models were especially sought after, thoroughbreds in a field of balky, unwieldy CX beasts.
- Unless these conditions were complied with, gravity served no better than a balky horse - it would not work at all…
- Because of balky knees, Palmeiro, 36, no longer moves as quickly around the bag.
- A student assistant with computing skills can help with restarting a balky workstation or writing a Web page.
- Their capsule will carry up more spare parts for the balky oxygen generator, but have room for little else.
- As he gets older, his defensive range shrinks because of balky knees.
- Depending on the model, the complaints range from faulty key fobs and leaky sunroofs to balky electronics that leave drivers and their passengers stranded.
- In case the balky internet connection is insufficiently irritating, the hotel is also providing me USA Today on a complimentary basis.
- Other than a balky elevator, the only real link between the two films is choreographer Hermes Pan, who was Fred's right-hand man throughout the Ginger years.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.