In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(game with ball)juego de pelota masculineno ball games — prohibido jugar a la pelota
- it's a whole new ball game — ha cambiado totalmente el panorama
- The affable Jim, who captained both East Kerry and UCC to county championship honours, has adapted to the small ball game with the greatest of ease.
- According to David Block's new book Baseball Before We Knew It, the game may be traced to a continental ball game called la soule.
- Activities at the camp include football, bowling, cricket and bocce, which is an Italian ball game played in the special Olympics.
- And, I'll have you know, you are now reading the village champion of the knocking the skittles down with a cricket ball game!
- For instance the first ball game that we can find mention of is Te Sen which was played in China in about 350 years B. C.
- Rugby has copied too many faults of the round ball game and faking injury to get an opposition carded is one we can do without.
- On Memorial Day, much of the patrol force was busy at the parade or at a ball game at the Polo Grounds, or was enjoying a day off granted to veterans.
- This may be the first huge step in rectifying the small ball game in a county where stones at the side of roads are reserved for footballers.
- They also have big youth memberships and an estimated 1500 youngsters are now playing the oval ball game in the county.
- It must not be allowed to be a ‘flash in the pan’ football victory but instead the start of a something big in the big ball game.
- The keynote address was provided by Scottish rugby's chief coach who enthused the shintymen present with insights from his years in the oval ball game.
- Bring a cheap ball game with you too, one of those fluorescent plastic frisbee-type games you can buy down the market for 99p, or from the shop on the promenade for £3.99.
- Money talks in rugby just as it does in the round ball game.
- A turnover to Singh on the halfway line and a score from the fast break made it a one-point ball game with a little over 90 seconds to go.
- The bonus ball game will start on Sunday the 5th of October in the Leitrim Bar, we would ask everyone to please give their support.
- It only has one game which is pretty similar to the old pingpong ball game between two bats, with a twist.
- Chabon weaves together those two myth-drenched cultures of America, the Indian and the ball game, and throws in an eco-fable too.
- My oldest, Livia, invented a ball game with a brilliant yet inexplicable title: ‘Starburn or Philosophy.’
- On it was played a ball game that resembled lacrosse.
- The blanket television coverage now being given to the oval ball game has certainly attracted many new converts to the sport in rural areas.
2US(baseball game)partido de béisbol masculine
- But, man, I'm sure having trouble remembering the last time this team played a decent ball game.
- The Phillies' starters are not going to put a lot of fear into the opposing team, but they go out and compete and keep their team in every ball game.
- I would take you to a movie or a ball game, but I'm stuck here.
- Blair sighed, but waited until they were inside and sitting in the living room checking the ball game scores before he continued.
- Whenever we got one, Elaine would reward the person responsible with a $25 check, a gift certificate to a nail salon, or tickets to a ball game.
- So, you're going to a ticketed event, like a concert or a ball game.
- Never in my life have I had any desire to hear someone playing an organ anywhere else, but for some reason it just feels right at a ball game.
- Otherwise you can pitch me every day if you feel I can help you win a ball game.
- Albany is home to about the same number of people as you'd find at a poorly attended minor league ball game.
- If you go to the ball game, you don't need to read the game story.
- We are gouged enough with the outrageous prices of going to a ball game.
- The first time the Giants came in that season, I hit a key home run off my friend, Jim Hearn, and won the ball game for our team.
- I say we've seen only the first inning of the Internet ball game.
- Before Miller, you could actually afford to go to a ball game.
- He was in town with his wife, and they took in a minor league ball game earlier in the day.
- It didn't exactly live up to the hype in terms of classic showdowns, but it generated more than its share of heat, and a great ball game nonetheless.
- ‘I entered the ball game late for defense at first base, replacing Nate Colbert in the eighth inning’ Fairly, 65, said.
- I had not played in a major league ball game since July 1952.
- Think about all those scrumptious Wheat Dogs at the ball game.
- He could spot mental mistakes and misjudgments in a ball game quicker than an airborne eagle catches sight of prey scurrying around on the ground.
3US(US football game)partido de fútbol americano masculinepartido de futbol americano masculine Mexico Central America
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.