In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A sprightly Cancan performance by a Russian team and the graceful ballet movements of the Vladimir-Natasha duo had the audience spell-bound.
- The most obvious candidates are classical ballet and the court dances from which the form emerged.
- What happens when you combine the technical formality of traditional ballet with the free-flowing movements of modern dance?
- With classical ballet, your movement is either right or wrong, and if you're wrong, you've failed.
- However, with modern ballet dance comes greater foot support through modern pointe ballet shoes and trained technique.
- The rhythm and tone of Jacobi's voice is complemented by classical ballet music and original music by Paul Grabowsky.
- I take ballet, jazz, and Pointe, which is ballet on toe shoes.
- He was one of the first dancemakers to marry classical ballet and modern dance.
- As she stepped out lightly to the beat in measured, graceful ballet steps, she saw her parents smiling proudly at her from the front row.
- This opposition of free dance versus ballet presents a two-dimensional portrait of past representations of femininity.
- In a technical and physical challenge, the dancers perform Peking opera gestures and movements at the same time as they dance ballet steps.
- There is an increasingly fine line nowadays between some modern dance and classical ballet.
- Mr B is, of course, the man who propelled classical ballet into the 20th century, and whose centenary has just been celebrated.
- I've never been a great one for ballet, and classical ballet, in particular, has pretty much passed me by.
- I also danced classical ballet until I was 33 years old, then I gave that up and became a runner.
- I danced in classical ballet because it was a way for me to learn another technique.
- But the two acclaimed performances of classical ballet and contemporary dance I saw were anything but stuffy.
- Dance forms range from classical ballet to free-form club dancing.
- The classes on Saturdays and Sundays in classical ballet and jazz dance for adults will last for two months.
- The 30 dancers are said to perform athletic, emotional graceful routines, blending modern, ballet and jazz dance to pop music, gospel and jazz.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.