In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I don't know what I would do after going up Everest, I certainly wouldn't want to take up ballooning.
- He gave a trophy for long-distance hot-air ballooning in 1906 that started the modern sport (the international Gordon Bennett balloon race still continues).
- The only departure from this order occurs in an appendix on military ballooning during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
- There are opportunities for all manner of outdoor activities: riding, canoeing, ballooning, and even diving.
- If the battle of the sexes is over and these girls have won, it's time to take up long-distance ballooning.
- Evans provides an admirable overview of early ballooning and of the first US and Confederate air forces.
- That's when I began to recognize what a thrilling, yet deeply calming, experience ballooning is.
- In this high-tech age ballooning is satisfyingly old-fashioned, though it has come a long way since the first balloon attempts of the 18th century.
- Apparently some basic rule of physics about hot air rising has the consequence that the best time to go ballooning is a winter morning, when it's really cold.
- A test drive in a Ferrari or hot-air ballooning are among the suggestions.
- Winds are key to ballooning - the skilled pilot uses different wind speeds at different altitudes to move in the desired direction.
- North Carolina was a launching ground for real and imaginary ballooning adventures as early as 1789.
- Mr Noble, who attended Burnley Grammar School, took up ballooning in 1974.
- Asked what the ideal weather conditions for ballooning are, Gerry replied: ‘We need relatively calm weather and no rain.’
- However, many developers and publishers are already getting headaches from the thoughts of ballooning development teams and costs.
- There are now companies dedicated to their organisation, offering activities from hot - air ballooning to health spas, paintballing to makeovers.
- What most appeals to Bob about ballooning is the sense of perspective it offers.
- But if the idea of white water rafting, paint balling, or hot air ballooning appeals to you, then perhaps you should take a look.
- When my ballooning trips were going horribly wrong, I got pretty nervous.
- I started off with five other colleagues I knew quite well - ballooning is a small tight-knit community.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.