In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1informal(nonsense)tonterías femininechorradas feminine Spain informalmacanas feminine River Plate informal
- Essentially, the charter is just a load of baloney.
- Well I don't quite get Ancram's point, but I do get the Indy's, and it is a typical piece of baloney.
- It has failed, it is a hoax, and it is a load of baloney.
- Our ‘content’ should be at all times inept, obscure, bluff, diatribe, baloney, codswallop or at worst irrelevant.
- The explanation that the public isn't really interested is pure baloney.
- I might consider myself a spiritual person - if someone could offer me a coherent definition of the term - but I'm basically an atheist, and feel wholly detached from all this heated baloney.
- ‘That's the biggest load of baloney,’ Cantor said.
- This thing about them not going well is a load of baloney.
- ‘The argument's baloney,’ Scott snaps, displaying a rare flash of irritation.
- No nonsense, no baloney, not a lot of fanfare, and it's proceeding very quickly.
- Just when it looked like the magic of the cup was being exposed as a load of old baloney, the substitute required only three minutes to underline his faith in it.
- I'm filling in any factual gaps w / baloney, but the story goes something like this: maybe something like 200 healthy laboratory rats were inadvertently thrown out at the dump.
- Based on my own experience, I think that's a load of baloney.
- It's called postmodernism and, among other things, it claims that all ideas are relative, that all science is baloney and that pretty much any reality is just a ‘social construct.’
- The mainstream media swallow spin and purvey it according to the adage, ‘If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with baloney.’
- ‘Clump of cells’ is baloney, as I have argued in my article ‘What Does It Mean to Be Human?’
- Their decision tells my critics, ‘You're full of baloney!’
- Economists who claim it is already the second largest in the world are talking baloney and not using real dollars to measure the economy but an economist's dream called parity purchasing power.
- When the truth comes out about these charges against me, people will find out all this baloney doesn't stand.
- All that Architectural Space Social Engineering stuff that was so optimistically babbled about back when I sweated through my lectures all those years ago was, and always will be, baloney.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.