In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1plátano masculinebanana feminine Peru River Platebanano masculine Colombia Central Americacambur masculine Venezuelato be top/second banana — ser el mandamás/el segundo de a bordo informal
- banana plantation — bananal
- banana tree — bananero
- Her eyes widened when she saw the bright orange pumpkins, the ripe yellow bananas, silks with colors that she had never before seen.
- Carpeted by rich volcanic ash, the region's moist and misty vales cradle Panama's coffee industry and also produce some of the country's finest citrus fruits and bananas.
- You might also want to mix in some slices of ripe bananas or the fruit of an avocado for a better deep conditioning treatment.
- Now I have a pint of hot water with a touch of lemon, then two pieces of fruit like a banana and apple.
- There is a vast range of specific color truths: ripe bananas are yellow; certain sunsets are golden; claret wine is claret red and so on.
- Farmers grow corn, cassava, peanuts, bananas, and citrus fruits for their own consumption.
- Oranges, apples, and bananas comprise half the fruit consumed.
- Choose low-fiber foods such as ground meats, ripe bananas, soft cereals or refined bread.
- You will feel the warmth of the sunshine, the smell of the salty sea, blending and mixing with the fragrance of flowers and the essence of bananas and ripe fruit.
- They also love ripe melons and bananas and grapes.
- There were two large, pastel yellow clusters of bananas on the counter.
- Towers started a fruit farm, growing bananas and avocados.
- For fresh fruit, bananas, apples and pears will be high on the list of priorities, but consider chopping up fresh mango, papaya or peaches into a small pot.
- Apologies to Marcia for not bringing the agreed birthday present of a bunch of overly ripe bananas.
- Rice, bananas, and citrus fruits replaced the traditional crops of sugar, coffee, and cocoa.
- The main goods produced for sale are agricultural products such as corn, sweet potatoes, bananas, and citrus fruit.
- The procedure should make artificial chemical ripening less necessary for apples, bananas and most stone fruits now treated with ethylene.
- The favorite fresh fruits of Canadians are bananas and apples.
- He said when students are finished eating apples or bananas in the school they bring the cores and skins to the composter.
- You may also eat one or two pieces of fruit, such as bananas, cantaloupe or pears.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.