In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- As Jay-Z quips, sometimes he wants to rap like Common but then he takes a look at his bank balance and continues to mine the money seam.
- While Craig Dus was treasurer of the Plaum's Pit club, he produced quarterly accounts showing a healthy bank balance.
- Gone are the days of healthy profits and a burgeoning bank balance.
- Hours before her bank balance became a telephone number she was worried sick about paying for the new school uniform for her youngest child Lee.
- We dreamed of doing something that would amount to more than a bank balance.
- A single man about town should be able to splash out on these things without feeling a moment's guilt or too big a dent in his bank balance.
- Put your imagination to work instead of your bank balance and watch the business roll in.
- The former includes establishing a career, getting married, building a bank balance, name and fame.
- I sit here typing with a sore and sunburnt head, an aching arm, a depleted bank balance, and feeling a little bit appalled with myself.
- And even when the spirit is willing, the bank balance may be weak.
- You have plenty of autonomy, and once you begin profit sharing your bank balance could grow rapidly.
- Hospital chiefs have dipped into capital reserves to prop up an ailing bank balance.
- What inspired such madness was a paltry bank balance which required alternative and cheap entertainment and a wish to have buns of steel by summer.
- Interestingly though, the only thing these aids are guaranteed to lower is your bank balance.
- She didn't notice because the amount was not large relative to her normal bank balance.
- I try not to think about my bank balance, credit card facility and outstanding payments if I can help it.
- Is it the appalling language, the irregular sleeping patterns, or the continual drain on your bank balance?
- First, my bank balance is depleted by funds sufficient to bankrupt a lower league football club.
- But every company in the land has to watch its bank balance and every investor has to make a decision about how much cash to keep in a portfolio.
- In this new climate, the bank balance soon replenished itself and I was suddenly in a position to place an offer on the cheapest of properties.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.