In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1día festivo masculineferiado masculine Latin America
- On Constitution Day, a bank holiday, we visited the ancient capital of Lanzarote, Teguise.
- Normally, if there has been a bank holiday, the rubbish is picked up the following day.
- It was expected to be even busier today - the official Boxing Day bank holiday.
- It pointed out that there were 61 days to go to the next bank holiday and 56 days since the last one.
- I took the box number to report the problem but the post office customer service line was closed due to the bank holiday.
- And you get an extra day of flopping on the sofa because of the extra bank holiday.
- The problem with break - outs started in fine weather on the bank holiday at the start of May.
- A bank holiday is a day on which the banks are on holiday, but on everyone else has to go to work.
- This weekend was a bank holiday one and so Monday was off so we could all indulge in sports as Sports Day it is.
- The open weekend, held over the August bank holiday, saw the first brake van rides towards Appleby.
- It originally took place on New Year's Day but when that became a bank holiday it was moved to the second of the month.
- When the system broke down in Doncaster it happened to be a bank holiday and we just couldn't get anyone out to fix it.
- The Irish all know when Saint Patrick's Day is, because they have a bank holiday attached to it.
- Around 100,000 people travel on BA flights every day over the bank holiday weekend.
- Because of the bank holiday it would have taken several days to get a court order to move them.
- Local businesses were kept busy over the bank holiday with a large number of people home for the break.
- After Easter the boating lake will open every weekend, bank holiday and school holiday through the summer.
- Analysts said volumes were more like a bank holiday than a working day.
- Sunday is considered a bank holiday and any other day designated as such should be subject to the same rules.
- The workers of the UK, and probably across a lot of the world, get a bank holiday tomorrow for May Day.
- Día festivo de carácter oficial en el Reino Unido, en que cierran los bancos, correos, la mayoría de las oficinas y muchas tiendas. Siempre cae en un lunes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.