In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Financebanquero masculinebanquera feminine
- Licensed stock brokers, bankers, and gambling-casino employees can all be checked by their employers as well.
- This led in 1881 to the incorporation of a privately owned company financed by industrialists and bankers with headquarters in Montreal.
- Around me in the East Stand upper tier are an assortment of senior company directors, bankers, hedge-fund managers, and, curiously, quite a few mini-cab drivers.
- The article discusses six Barclays bankers who managed to spend £44,000 on one meal.
- Horan, a former central banker and currently managing director of BoI Finance, is on the final shortlist for the position of deputy to Ruane.
- While this is happening, property owners/speculators, bankers and financial services have never had it as good.
- Also on Monday, 25 Jackson accountants, lawyers, bankers and managers will meet to discuss the star's business affairs.
- City professionals include Lloyd's of London insurance men, financial PRs, lawyers and accountants as well as bankers and fund managers.
- ‘There is still demand for business bankers, wealth managers, internal auditors and risk roles,’ said Cosgrove.
- He began meeting bankers and fund managers and mastered the workings of our financial sector.
- In the 1960s he had a chance to take his Brooklyn factory public, but the bankers would give management only 40% of the deal.
- We have been acting as bankers and managers to public issues.
- And we all know that, as well as being a brilliant banker, Royal Bank boss Fred Goodwin is a very ambitious man.
- They do it to bulge the bank accounts of bankers, company managers, and investors all over the world.
- Investment bankers spend millions on artists' lofts in scruffy, but fashionable parts of town.
- The banker managed the personal wealth assets of some of the star CEOs of technology enterprises.
- He supplied Glasgow coffee houses where the stockbrokers and bankers met to talk business and read the journals of the day.
- It is seeking to hire from Dublin investment banking professionals, asset management bankers, corporate finance, and project and trade finance experts.
- If you have a black American Express card and a Ferrari in the garage, you also have a private banker managing your wealth.
- The frank talk focuses on profit, healthy food, markets, marketing, progressive management, and bankers.
2(in gambling)banca feminine
- The defeat of their meeting banker Moscow Flyer in the Queen Mother Champion Chase meant the shamrocks were wilting towards the end of the second day of the annual three-day meeting.
- Moscow Flyer also proved to be the pick of Geraghty's winners last year, taking the Queen Mother Champion Chase and the 10-year-old as his banker once again this year.
- Wanderers go to Molineux on Monday to take on a team that is a banker bet to make an instant return to the Nationwide League but has shown a willingness to fight to the death.
- The banker has to be Baracouda (Stayers' Hurdle, Thur 1435).
- The opening race of the meeting, which began to the sound of the famous Cheltenham cheer, was won by Brave Inca, one of the Irish bankers of the meeting.
- "We paid particular attention to their win and place percentages, as many people use top jockeys as their bankers in exotic bets, " he said.
- At the same venue John Dunlop's Ridge Runner looks to be a banker's bet in the 3.25 race.
- Oldham's banker bet for the tour is that unusual beast: the British nu-metal act, in this case, the Lostprophets.
- Even Baracouda, considered by many to be a bigger banker than Best Mate, had to settle for second in the Stayers' Hurdle in the race before the Gold Cup.
- I had thought that ‘This that and tother’ would be a banker but am very, very pleased for A.P. and Well Chief.
- For many, the unbeaten Sweet Wake is a banker bet at the meeting though Carberry winces at the notion.
- But the unpronounceable, unspellable Azertyuiop has everything it takes to be a Cheltenham Festival banker.
- Reveley is highly confident, and Tees Components is the banker bet of the meeting, but I like the look of Gerard Butler's Conquestadora as an each-way shot.
- The banker bet of the Festival is still Baracouda for the Stayer's Hurdle, despite Crystal D' Ainays' impressive win in the Byrne Bros Cleeve Hurdle.
- But by remounting and finishing third, McCoy saved punters who had included Pilca as a banker bet in their Placepots.
- There won t be any Limestone Lad in the Stayers Hurdle but in Bannow Bay we have a horse that is definitely one of the Irish banker bets.
- Favourite backers got off to a flying start when Irish banker Like-A-Butterfly won the Cheltenham Festival opener.
- On paper, if nothing else, they look to be something of a banker bet, but in a local derby situation you never can tell.
- Next up was Baracouda, who was the banker of the meeting for many punters.
- At this stage, Foster and Marshall look banker bets to be heading Down Under, though neither is taking anything for granted.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.