In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In Kendal, Dalton started to keep a metrological journal, he made his own thermometers, barometers and other instruments.
- Before departing, the master of the Koombana had noted the low barometer, and had said he expected a slow trip to Broome.
- The atmospheric pressure on each experimental day was recorded using a barometer.
- The DNS Pro models also have a barometer, altimeter and weather-forecasting capability.
- As the barometer had indicated, the storm swiftly arrived, but not from the expected direction.
- Falling barometers are regularly followed by storms, but do not cause them.
- There is nothing on George's interest in scientific instruments, beyond clocks and barometers, and only one small case on the Queen's patronage of botany and ‘women's’ crafts.
- The most frequent weather-tech questions I receive involve the use of altimeters, barometers, and/or track elevation.
- There you should be able to find thermometers, rain gauges, wind vanes and possibly barometers and humidity gauges.
- We have text on how a barometer measures air pressure that you might be interested in.
- Fortunately, more ships than today sailed along the USA's coasts in the 19th century and their captains generally had barometers and an eye for weather.
- Various instruments like thermometers and barometers are used to measure this.
- The barometer is dropping, so we may be in a blizzard by midday.
- They had sextants, early microscopes, clocks, thermometers, and barometers.
- Among the chosen are barometers which can monitor and forecast weather conditions using graphic icons.
- Their weather station houses barometers, thermometers, a wind vane, and a rain gauge.
- In Frémont's time the connection between weather events and changes in local air pressure were not well understood; barometers were rare and used primarily to measure elevation.
- The barometer was not developed to measure atmospheric pressure as it is used for today.
- In Italy, Torricelli did research which led to developing the barometer and the measure of air pressure.
- Nor does it count as an explanation of today's rainstorm to claim that it rained because a barometer reading decreased yesterday.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.