In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Before each series, we go over scouting reports that show where the other team's base hits go.
- Palmeiro has slapped what would be base hits, but the ball has rolled directly to the second baseman's new location.
- I got a base hit in the top of the eighth inning to put us ahead 1-0.
- Consider an outfielder who cleanly fields a base hit and returns the ball to the infield.
- Carillon sent 10 batters to the plate in the seventh scoring four runs on four walks, two base hits and two errors.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.