In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It was built in the late 1950s, on six floors, with one flat on each floor and a basement.
- Does he walk the townships with bodyguards on all sides, stopping to step inside ruined basements and first floors?
- The fire broke out beside a boiler in the basement of the building in the early hours of Friday morning.
- There is also an additional accommodation on the first floor and basement with a rear access.
- He owned the lot - the basement and the first floor, the one above and the two above that.
- In Pernik, the Struma river broke through a dyke and flooded basements of nearby buildings, roads, and the town's central bus station.
- Normally she wouldn't be so concerned about blowing something up with such a small charge, but this time if the basements went the whole building would collapse in on itself.
- He chose to live in the dark and dank bowels and basements of buildings, rejected by family and society.
- He and Mr. Facey spread kitty litter on the basement floor to absorb the leaked oil.
- The house itself had a total of four floors, if you counted my basement as a floor.
- Those forced to evacuate their homes near Great Falls were able to return within a few days and begin shoveling mud from their basements and replacing damaged floors and furniture.
- There will be some space to hang out and a pool hall is in the basement of the Rumley Building.
- Radon levels are generally highest in basements and ground floor rooms that are in contact with the soil.
- Stationary fuel cells can be installed in the basements of buildings to heat, cool and generate electricity for lights and appliances.
- They all have two storeys - either basement and ground, or first floor and attic space.
- The house is divided horizontally so that she has the basement and ground floor and he has the first and second.
- Right now there may only be 3-4 feet of standing water but, if you think about it, most files are kept in the basements or lower floors of courthouses.
- Those who can't negotiate the grand staircases will be able to enter the building via the basement.
- His militia, the Army of the Mahdi, is running courts and jailing people in the basements of tenement buildings.
- They felt like the walls found in the basements of old buildings.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.