In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Britishinformaltunda femininepaliza femininesomanta feminine Spain informalmadriza feminine Mexico informalto give sb a bashing — ponerle una madriza a algn Mexico informal
- I will stay in medicine, despite all the doctor bashing in the press, I am still proud to be part of the profession.
- While certain Windsor family members have made some incredible mistakes, the relentless bashing from the press offers little room for the family to regroup and even less for forgiveness.
- The Opposition may carry on beneficiary bashing, but we are getting people back to work.
- Unlike the Leader of the Opposition, who is proposing beneficiary bashing under a rehash of the code of social responsibility, this Government is looking for real solutions.
- Jacques, baby, you sure make it hard for your friends to denounce mindless France bashing when you pull stuff like this.
- Benefit bashing by the Opposition will not work in today's society.
- After many years of bashing from pundits and politicians, affirmative action is on the ropes.
- However, in the case at hand, were Chen's remarks so farfetched that they warrant this kind of public bashing of his credibility and authority?
- I made a vow not to engage in anymore nut-baiting or political bashing here.
- It was in defense of US bashing in a public forum.
- Let us try to get beyond this bloody (I would have done the male thing and used an expletive, but bit my tongue) male bashing.
- A show that has miraculously survived through low ratings and critical bashing for as long as it has deserves a better finale than this.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.