In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1feminine canasta Latin Americafeminine cesta Spainfeminine barquillalinen / laundry basket — canasto de la ropa sucia masculine
- before noun basket chair — silla de mimbre
- basket maker — cestera
- basket making — cestería
- Explore beautiful Colorado from the basket of a hot air balloon.
- She is shown from the back crossing a field of hay carrying a laundry-laden basket with the added surprise of a flushed hen pheasant in the distance.
- Check the dollar stores for plastic bins, baskets and containers.
- Our balloon baskets are divided into compartments for your safety, and there will usually be three or four passengers in any one compartment.
- Cameras are allowed in the balloon basket at participants' own risk.
- Something else struck me in the picture, and that was that the women going about their shopping all carried baskets or shopping bags, not a plastic carrier in sight.
- Place dishes in a wire basket or other container and dip them in a sanitizing solution.
- For more open containers, like a wire basket, line it with moss purchased at a craft store or garden center.
- Most gardeners begin their foray into container gardening with baskets and boxes of colorful annual flowers.
- In one hand he carries a briefcase and in the other a wire basket for his purchases.
- Many of these were used for other purposes, such as laundry baskets or to carry alcohol.
- They laughed and came into the dining room carrying various bowls and baskets.
- She was carrying a large basket of laundry in her hands, and looked more than a little surprised to see her there.
- All six floors of the building are packed with books and shoppers, pushing trolleys and carrying baskets.
- People walked to and fro carrying baskets and bags with strange symbols on them and stopped periodically to allow horse drawn carriages through.
- Each basket contained forty individual packets, done up in color-coded plastic wrap.
- He didn't do much preparation either, and ended up packing all his dirty clothes - basically by emptying the laundry basket into his suitcase.
- The heated air that lifts the balloon comes from a hydrocarbon gas burner attached above the basket.
- Select one that is potted in a bushel basket or other large container or balled with burlap into a large, firm root ball.
- When partially inflated, the air is heated by a burner and the envelope rises above the basket.
- The front of a dim sum restaurant has a long steam tray covered with stacks of bamboo baskets containing all kinds of delicious treats.
- In these homes there is never more than a couple of mugs on the draining board, the ironing basket never contains more than three garments and the car keys are never lost.
- Where she used to make the climb from the basement, carrying a laundry basket, now she finds the ascent daunting.
- If you cannot think of a special container, a laundry basket would serve a dual purpose.
- Also on display are wire baskets and baskets with beadwork incorporated into their weave.
1.2(quantity)canasta feminine Latin Americacesta feminine Spain
- They are usually invested in a basket of stocks, bonds, property and cash.
- Consequently, he is advising investors to buy a basket of commodities such as copper, sugar, cotton, corn and crude oil.
- However, the central bank persisted in pegging the baht to a basket of currencies in which the dollar had 80 per cent influence.
- The index, compiled from a basket of 13 hedge funds, has risen by 13.8 per cent this year.
- Now it is possible that in the first six months of next year, they move to an exchange rate that is tied to a basket of currencies.
1.3basket of currencies — cesta de monedas feminine Spain
2.1(goal)canasta femininecesto masculine
- We did score a few baskets, but the game was mostly one sided.
- It takes him another minute to finally score a basket - a 20-foot jump shot that rattles off the back iron and falls in.
- We went out and scored the first basket in the second half and couldn't continue the pace.
- They almost won, even though they only scored 2 real baskets the whole game.
- Many of his title game baskets were scored after setting up deep in the low post.
2.2(score)canasta feminineenceste masculine
3US slang(male genitals)paquete masculine informal
4British euphemistic, informal(bastard)hijo de su madre masculine informal euphemistichija de su madre feminine euphemistic informal
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.