In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- As a part of the drum kit, the bass drum has shrunk over the years with changes in the sound desired and in its auxiliary functions, and with the introduction of synthetic materials for the drum-head.
- I play guitar, bass drum, a tambourine on my foot and a snare drum.
- ‘Maybe we'll have some congas and bongos, marimba and vibraphones, a bass drum, cow bells - perhaps a Chinese gong,’ she said, thoughtfully.
- Though, he could crash into the room playing a bass drum and she probably wouldn't notice; she was entirely too enthralled in her work.
- And the bass drum sounded infinitely better that way.
- He softly murmurs the melody, sliding through a riff with a pristine guitar tone over the gentle 4/4 thump of the bass drum, adding the barest back-up harmony.
- A lonely violin and piano play out the final three minutes of the record, augmented by a lazy bass drum.
- Just then we heard the beat of a bass drum and the jangle of a tambourine.
- Beginning with acoustic plucking and the soft pounding of the bass drum, it shifts dynamics and adds some spirit to their performance for the second verse.
- Finally, you hear a trumpet call, followed by the big sound of the bass drum.
- I was completely and utterly entertained from the first kick of the bass drum to the last crash of the cymbal.
- Heads were shaking, feet were tapping and bodies as a whole, shivering, to the pulsating beats of the bass drum and the ‘C’ major and other high notes of the guitar.
- There was another set of timpani, another bass drum, side drums, castanets, two xylophones, and, if I recall correctly, tubular bells as well.
- The dry sound is ideal - the bass drum, for example, is reproduced with a clean, heart-stopping thud.
- Some come to see him simultaneously handle an electric slide guitar (in an especially low-pitch open tuning), drum machine, bass drum, crash helmet and telephone microphone.
- The high and middle toms mount on the bass drum, and the floor tom clamps on to the cymbal stand.
- What's most important, though, is the fact it takes off after the first promising, pounding 15 seconds rather than leaning on a bass drum beat for four minutes.
- At first, he helped carry the bass drum, and later played the snare drum.
- Sure, it had a fine array of percussion - timpani, snare drum, bass drum, gong, glockenspiel - but they were just there for effect.
- Their instruments include a full drum set, surdo, or Brazilian bass drum, conga drums, bells and ganzas or shakers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.