In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1feminine pilafeminine bateríathe battery is flat — la batería está descargada
- battery-operated racing cars — coches de carrera a pila(s) / que funcionan con pilas
- battery charger — cargador de pilas
- While the new electrodes have not yet been tested in fuel cells or batteries, Liu expects they will significantly boost energy output.
- These engines also could provide electrical power instead of relying on solar cells or batteries.
- The electricity that we get from power outlets and batteries can power all different kinds of devices.
- At low speeds, the car uses only the electric motor powered by batteries.
- An electromagnet starts with a battery (or some other source of power) and a wire.
- You can see why there is so much excitement around fuel cells right now - fuel cells solve the battery problem.
- The product is advertised to operate using static electricity only and requiring no batteries or other power sources.
- The cells in a car battery generate electricity with a chemical reaction between a lead plate and a lead dioxide plate that are bathed in acid.
- A quartz watch powered by a battery is constantly powered and tells accurate time all the time and do not need time adjustment.
- Standard batteries can power digital cellphones for several hours of transmission or days of standby operation.
- If there is no electrical hookup, it can use the energy from a car battery, solar cell, or bicycle generator.
- The batteries that power the electric motor cost thousands.
- The redox reaction in the battery is the source of the electrical energy; batteries are voltaic cells.
- Some analysts foresee fuel cells replacing batteries in consumer electronics and other applications before long.
- However, the short and unpredictable life spans of existing chemical batteries means that new power supply solutions are needed.
- Clocks go faster or slower over time, batteries and power sources go dead, or important time changes, such as daylight saving, can be forgotten.
- For short missions, power can be provided by batteries or fuel cells, which produce power from chemical energy.
- If there's no electricity, how do you get the energy to power the batteries for the cameras?
- Hidden within cell phones, laptops, and digital cameras, lithium-ion batteries increasingly power the world.
- Compared to batteries, fuel cells will be smaller, much lighter and instantly rechargeable.
- Regiments would have an organic six-gun artillery battery and a reconnaissance troop.
- The mortar platoon is the personal artillery battery for the battalion commander.
- Anti-aircraft fire required tables that were far more detailed than those used by field artillery batteries.
- Numerically, each of its three cavalry squadrons has the equivalent of a tank battalion, a mechanized battalion, and an artillery battery.
- Wouldn't an artillery battery or a couple of guns have required troops to defend it?
- The first unit that they saw was an artillery battery on the other side of an open field.
- This consisted of 10 regular and 18 irregular regiments of cavalry, 74 regiments of infantry, and 22 artillery batteries.
- Ocean carries an artillery battery and can be used to supply the paratroopers, who are at present lightly armed, with more weapons.
- The number of rapidly deployable mobile batteries used on each mission by the Army will depend on the operational requirements.
- The task force later lost the howitzer battery, separate infantry platoon, and engineer platoon.
- I also compare between women who serve in an artillery battery and women who serve in an infantry company.
- The fire support battalion will consolidate the two mortar platoons of the original battalions into batteries.
- There are no heavy battalions or massed batteries in this picture.
- Meanwhile the enemy had with astonishing rapidity brought a number of powerful batteries of artillery into position behind the Marre ridge, on the western bank of the river.
- The disappearance of the classical front line required that artillery batteries fight as infantry in the defense of their guns.
- However, the Panzer Regiment destroyed a motorized column and an artillery battery before the French could withdraw.
- The artillery batteries ' duties quickly changed to extending, improving and maintaining a brigade-sized defensive perimeter.
- Having readied their batteries for war, commanders now had to deal with preserving the peace.
- It was not uncommon for a brigade to have a cavalry troop or artillery battery as part of its organic makeup.
- Even in engaging artillery batteries, the aim was primarily to wipe out the crews.
3Farmingfeminine batería(eggs/hens) de criadero(eggs/hens) de bateríabattery farming — cría intensiva feminine
- These days it's all factory farms and abattoirs and battery chickens, but in the old days farming was much more personal and friendly.
- Many of today's farming techniques are not natural, regarding GM crops, battery hens and such, but many of us do not think of these as wrong.
- To teach our young people in a school like that, to be reared like battery hens, would be folly.
- Here in Australia, approximately 10-million battery hens are caged for life.
- Most birds reared for food are grown in battery farms, and so are kept indoors anyway.
- One answer to this objection is that most farmers have their hens securely locked away in battery cages with a floor surface the size of a piece of A4 paper so they are none too vulnerable to fox attack.
- So nobody in Europe is now allowed to do that, and we also have legislation which is going to result in the phasing out of battery cages for laying hens.
- Now thousands of battery farm birds in Scotland are set to escape the chop thanks to a rescue service being set up by an animal lover.
- With laying hens confined so closely in battery cages, the possibility of cross-contamination between animals must surely be very high.
- Egg-laying hens are confined to battery cages.
- Switzerland's elimination of battery cages increased the Swiss egg industry's profitability and its acceptability to consumers.
- But, if animal welfare is the aim, Parliament should be legislating on intensive animal farming methods and battery chickens raised in windowless warehouses.
- Farming hundreds of thousands of fish in tiny cages makes battery hen operations look positively organic by comparison.
- Newer European battery cages with manure belts provide a system for daily clean out of manure.
- The European Commission recently announced an end to the cramped conditions suffered by hens housed in battery cages.
- If it's really about animal cruelty, why aren't we banning battery hens?
- The foundation has been protesting over the past 30 years against the selling of eggs from battery cages.
- Despite this, battery cage egg production has increased over the last 50 years.
- Vegetarian, vegan, and animal-rights movements have prompted Sweden to become the first E.U. member to outlaw battery cages for hens.
- It is calling on politicians to support legislation to ban battery cages, which it says cause great suffering to hens.
4(array, set)a battery of tests — una serie de tests
- a battery of questions — una sarta de preguntas
- he is advised by a battery of lawyers — lo asesora un verdadero ejército de abogados
5feminine lesionesfeminine agresiónfeminine violenciamasculine malos tratos
- The guy has previous convictions for kidnapping, battery and assault.
- That would be a criminal action, namely assault (rather than battery which includes physical contact).
- In most cases of battery or actual bodily harm the causal connection will be plain, but cases involving drugs have presented difficulties.
- Now he awaits trial for first-degree murder, attempted murder, and aggravated battery.
- Kantor has listed three of them in her complaint: assault, battery, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.