In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1bateo masculineto lead off / open the batting — empezar a batear
- But the current batting and bowling averages give a clue as to some of the weaknesses which are partly responsible for their sorry plight.
- He topped the American League in batting, slugging, runs, total bases, home runs, and RBI.
- Aaron and Ruth both won batting and RBI titles to go with their multiple home run crowns but never put together all three legs in one year.
- Hit better in 20 minutes with the simple, systematic approach to batting!
- He is starting to change the face of batting, much as his mate Warne has done with bowling.
- After three days of methodical batting and tight bowling, it had come to this.
- This action is also seen in baseball batting and in gymnastics when doing the iron cross on the rings.
- His batting probably mirrors his personality more than for most cricketers.
- He was seventh in overall batting, with an average of .324, and 10th in total trips to the plate with 623.
- Let's not forget that the Dodgers were also last in the N.L. in batting, on-base, and slugging averages as well as runs scored.
- He said it did not take a lot to adjust his batting to Test cricket from one-dayers.
- The biggest factor that turned the game India's way in Barbados was the inept batting by West Indies.
- Ten men won the privilege of batting against baseball's all-time strikeouts king as part of a promotion for a candy bar.
- The likely replacement will be Scarborough's Rob Barlow, who offers a similar combination of leg-spin, sound batting and good fielding.
- One of the banes in my cricket is the inconsistency in my batting and I hope that it can carry on throughout the year.
- You scored at a consistent rate throughout your innings - was the wicket a good one for batting?
- He led the American League in batting once, home runs once, assists three times and fielding twice, but never gained a stolen base title.
- The standards have gone up, and not just in batting, bowling or fielding.
- Bowling also involves a more natural movement than batting.
- In his first six Championship innings, for example, he plundered a century and three half-centuries while his batting in knockout cricket has been quite fantastic.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.