In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Militarybatalla feminine(scars/zone) de guerra(plan) de batallato fight/lose/win a battle — librar/perder/ganar una batalla
- to go into battle — entrar en batalla
- to do battle — luchar
- let battle commence! — ¡que se inicie la contienda!
- gun battle — tiroteo
- battle formation — formación de batalla / de combate
2(struggle)lucha femininethe battle against inflation/cancer — la lucha contra la inflación/el cáncer
- I had a battle with my conscience — tuve problemas con mi conciencia
- the battle for the leadership — la lucha / la contienda por el liderazgo
- a battle of wits — una lucha de ingenio
- that's half the battle (won) — eso ya es un gran paso adelante
- to fight a losing battle — luchar por una causa perdida
1Militarylucharpelearto battle against / with sb — luchar contra / con algn
- A series of four battles were fought during the Italian campaign as the Allies tried to advance on Rome.
- Cougars face an uphill battle as they struggle to rebuild confidence for Sunday's clash with Leigh.
- After lengthy court battles and broken promises, the residents plight continued to fall on deaf ears.
- Even if the case never makes it to court, some companies pay up just to avoid bad press and lengthy legal battles.
- In a war there are many battles to be fought; which battle would become more important than the rest is not easily known.
- They determined the pace of the war - when battles were fought, what nature they assumed, when they were over.
- In each case, a certain peace had to have been made with the family or difficult, draining battles followed.
- In any successful war, individual battles must be fought with an eye towards the overriding objective.
- Sovereignty was a figure for all those brave soldiers who fought and died in battle.
- It is almost certain now that the dispute will end up in a lengthy and expensive court battle.
- Rarely do we see accounts of how housewives struggled at home while the men of valor fought the battles and won the wars.
- This determination to achieve something extra began with a lengthy battle to regain the use of her partial limb.
- Of the many battles in which he fought, the one we associate him with most is the Siege of Limerick, and then the treaty of Limerick.
- Advisers say the panel has taken longer than normal to reach a decision because the process is likely to set a precedent for future battles.
- In 1066, the Anglo-Saxons fought three battles against foreign invaders.
- And who wants to fight 50 battles if you can prevail everywhere by winning just one?
- During his time in America, Philip fought in eight major battles and 50 skirmishes.
- He declared that a truly great commander could win his campaigns without fighting any battles.
- Wolf, that's why we have a court set up to handle these very difficult custody battles.
- Mr Rhodes said the conclusion of the deal yesterday brought to an end a long and difficult battle to keep the club going.
- Hymns and prayers were said in memory of those who died in battle and those who fought and survived.
- This is a battle about the future, about the shape of Labour's third term.
- In battle, it could be wielded as a quarterstaff against swordsmen, or as a pike against cavalry.
- Two years later, he is still engaged in a legal battle to fight deportation and be allowed to stay here with his wife.
- And the high profile court battles have shown how difficult it is to get medical experts to agree on how to interpret the facts of a case.
- It also foreshadows future battles over infrastructure for the site, such as roads, sewerage and water.
- In 1916, tanks were first used in battle as the Battle of the Somme began in France.
- The most difficult battles were over divorce and the legalization of abortion.
- The battle over small abattoirs is therefore also a battle for the future of agriculture.
- In battle, I came to pity enemy prisoners because I had a cause to fight for and they did not.
- You can expect financial gain and personal glory as you achieve difficult goals and stand up to stiff competition to win your battles.
- The pair did try and pursue the matter through the courts but could not afford a lengthy legal battle.
- He enjoyed wars and was the first prime minister since the duke of Wellington to have fought in battle.
- It is not a war fought with battles, it does not have front lines, nor does it have marches or invasions.
- One of the most difficult battles waged by these women has been against Public Works Department contractors.
- Five major battles were fought around the town of Arras during World War One.
- Their fleets of ships fought and won battles from the coasts of Kerry to Mizen's wild foreland, to the Mull of Kintyre.
- He was a Navy lieutenant who fought in real battles.
- The pair had been embroiled in lengthy legal battles over Daniel, but had reached a shared custody agreement on his care before Kevin's death.
- Allison and Kevin had, following lengthy legal battles, reached a shared custody agreement on Daniel's care.
2(struggle)lucharto battle against sth/sb — luchar contra algo/algn
- he battled against alcoholism — luchó contra el alcoholismo
- I was battling with the controls — estaba luchando con los controles
- after months of battling with union leaders — tras meses de forcejeo / de enfrentamiento con los líderes sindicales
- the patient was battling for life — el paciente se debatía entre la vida y la muerte
- they battled over the inheritance — se pelearon por la herencia
1to battle one's way — abrirse paso / camino con gran esfuerzo
2US(oppose)combatirthey are battling the new law — están combatiendo la nueva ley
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.