In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1crucero de batalla masculinecrucero de combate masculine
- My ship was the Princess Royal, a battlecruiser which because of its speed was well ahead of our own main fleet.
- The other submarines changed course in all directions to avoid each other and the battlecruisers and destroyers which followed close behind.
- The British battlecruiser's main long-range armament usually consisted of eight guns which varied in calibre from 12 to 15 inch.
- Following the scuttling of the battlecruiser Australia, as part of the Washington Naval Treaty, and due to the age of the other cruisers, a small re-armament program was instituted.
- Only three of the battlecruiser's ship's company of 1,421 survived.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.