In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Thus, the U.S. Navy had carried battleships on its rosters for little more than a century.
- Divers are expected to return to the wreck site later this year to check on the oil which still leaks from the battleship.
- Admiral Yoshikawa pointed out that the first Kashima in the Japanese navy was a battleship built by Armstrong on the Tyne in 1906.
- Unlike aboard a frigate, the men aboard the Navy's battleships and cruisers felt nothing during transit.
- The limits were not on ‘naval forces’, as Chomsky states, but on battleships and aircraft carriers.
- Wind has disrupted the advance of great warships like battleships and aircraft carriers.
- Each battle group was protected by battleships and cruisers.
- A few minutes earlier, USS battleship Nevada and other ships opened fire on Utah.
- The grim battle in the twilight of the Arctic Circle was the last time men of the Royal Navy faced the enemy in a battleship.
- Two battleships packed with Marines lurk offshore.
- Admiral Kondo's main force of two battleships and six heavy cruisers followed soon after.
- The irony is that British submarines did not really have the potential to sink battleships as their armour was simply too great.
- If the Americans lost a capital ship (a battleship or aircraft carrier) it was simply a loss.
- Both vessels were built in England, albeit 136 years apart, and both were designated first class battleships.
- The Navy had arrived with impressive looking warships and battleships, armed to the teeth with many a cannon and gun.
- This is a legacy of the Second World War, in which the aircraft carrier replaced the battleship as the capital ship of fleets.
- Only current Italian battleships, also designed for near seas, had such limited autonomy.
- The battleships and destroyers following HMS Fearless arrived on the scene at a speed of 21 knots.
- These include the battlecruisers HMS Hood, HMS Repulse and the battleship HMS Prince of Wales.
- He saw future naval confrontations whereby the battleships and cruisers of a fleet would protect the carriers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.