In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He saw future naval confrontations whereby the battleships and cruisers of a fleet would protect the carriers.
- Two battleships packed with Marines lurk offshore.
- Wind has disrupted the advance of great warships like battleships and aircraft carriers.
- Admiral Yoshikawa pointed out that the first Kashima in the Japanese navy was a battleship built by Armstrong on the Tyne in 1906.
- If the Americans lost a capital ship (a battleship or aircraft carrier) it was simply a loss.
- Thus, the U.S. Navy had carried battleships on its rosters for little more than a century.
- Divers are expected to return to the wreck site later this year to check on the oil which still leaks from the battleship.
- This is a legacy of the Second World War, in which the aircraft carrier replaced the battleship as the capital ship of fleets.
- Unlike aboard a frigate, the men aboard the Navy's battleships and cruisers felt nothing during transit.
- The irony is that British submarines did not really have the potential to sink battleships as their armour was simply too great.
- A few minutes earlier, USS battleship Nevada and other ships opened fire on Utah.
- The limits were not on ‘naval forces’, as Chomsky states, but on battleships and aircraft carriers.
- Only current Italian battleships, also designed for near seas, had such limited autonomy.
- The Navy had arrived with impressive looking warships and battleships, armed to the teeth with many a cannon and gun.
- The grim battle in the twilight of the Arctic Circle was the last time men of the Royal Navy faced the enemy in a battleship.
- These include the battlecruisers HMS Hood, HMS Repulse and the battleship HMS Prince of Wales.
- Both vessels were built in England, albeit 136 years apart, and both were designated first class battleships.
- Each battle group was protected by battleships and cruisers.
- The battleships and destroyers following HMS Fearless arrived on the scene at a speed of 21 knots.
- Admiral Kondo's main force of two battleships and six heavy cruisers followed soon after.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.