In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1chico que pasa todo el día haciendo surf en la playa
- You'd better revise for your GCSE's man or you'll end up a beach bum.
- Surfing has even taken off in Germany, where beach bums can get excited about waves on the Isar river in Munich that get up to a meter, a mere ripple compared with the action in the ocean.
- Fresh from California, this beach bum turned waiter was one of the most friendly, open people I'd met.
- When I see the occasional aircraft flying over the blue South Pacific, I'm kinda glad Larry lived to become one of the greats in a long line of Australian beach bums.
- Skip ahead six months and the couple have retired and live listlessly as beach bums.
- If you give a beach bum fifty baht to feed the elephants, and there isn't a trunk in sight, don't be too surprised if the guy disappears into the nearest bar to buy a beer.
- These six macho guys look like your local beach bums in their faded jeans and check shirts or vests.
- If you've ever considered being a beach bum, Jamaica is the perfect place to start.
- ‘Between the wars, I was basically a beach bum, and I wanted to find a way to work but not work, so I joined the merchant marines,’ Gold explains.
- An amalgam of laid-back Carribean beach bum and win-at-all costs New Yorker, his recognition of both traits means he has managed to channel them both positively.
- Hardly a lighthearted Californian beach bum, Jem is in fact Welsh and has been writing songs since she was 13.
- The streets are full of beach bums and the (small, pebbly) beaches are full of jellyfish.
- Beltran's music summons thoughts of beach bums gazing at the sunset, but it's got enough bump and hustle to pack the dance floor, too.
- Ima had bleach blonde hair, was a bit taller than me, and was beautiful in that beach bum, surfer chick way.
- In the early Seventies he found himself in Key West, then a lazy fishing and beach bum community at the southernmost tip of Florida, 90 miles from Cuba.
- He's also a lanky kid with the laid-back demeanor of a California beach bum.
- Don't get me wrong, I'm not some spoiled Southern California beach bum.
- With his glasses, he probably looked more like the beach bum who taught an evening class.
- He is as threatening as a beach bum after a heavy night.
- They had about forty minutes left before they had to go home, so everyone just hung around like beach bums on the sand.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.